News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pastyface - Soulbender Variant - Some Advice Please -

Started by frankie5fingers, July 06, 2012, 01:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Got a board on the way, Other than Ge, I'm not really sure which trannies to order other than NKT275s.  Are they the only real choice?  I planned to socket and try a few but could really use some suggestions - All I really know is:  Not too wooly, not too bassy, not too muddy.  Closer to distortion than fuzz, for a more Page-y tone.
Finally... is there any hope of powering with One Spot?  Is it just too noisy?  What are the options?
Thanks in advance.
Frank

mgwhit

I've got a Mk III Bender on my breadboard right now with the Small Bear generic set, and I think they sound pretty darned good.  I'll have to look and see what they actually are, but I think the more important thing is to get them (gain) matched for this circuit.  Right now it's Soul Bender specs.  I don't think it's terribly Page sounding, even with my Tele -- I think the Mk II cops that better -- but you can get an awesome Iommi sound out of it.

Re: using a One Spot, can it do -9V?  If not, I'd recommend using a Road Rage board or just wiring it for battery only.

whitebread47

I built mine to Soul Bender specs using all TI 2n404a's.  I can't remember the gains on each, but did make sure they were all pretty close to the suggested values for each position.  I tried a couple of others (I think they were 3AX31C's from Smallbear and a combo of 3AX31C's & OC75's).

IMO, the 2N404a's are excellent Ge trannies for every Ge-based circuit I've tested them in (Fuzz Face, Bender, RangeMaster).  With a cooking amp, my Tele or Les Paul, and the Pastyface, I'd say I get fairly close to Page-like tones.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell