News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mxr distortion + mods.

Started by pietro_moog, August 09, 2014, 10:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

Hi guys. I really like my distortion + now. I changed the volume pot with a 50kb, and the unity gain is much closer to the middle point. Then i removed C5 (1nf) and R6 (10k), making a tone pot arrangement. A 15r resistor coming from C4 followed by a 1kb pot (lug 3 to 15r, lug 1 to the volume pot) . this forms a lower voltage divider with the pot, resulting in more volume. then a 330nf cap connected between lug 2 and ground.
this tone arrangement has the same range of the rat 's one, and it gives a slight boost to the volume.

Thomas_H

Hi,

are you aware about Brian Wamplers Article about the MXR+ mods?
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/mxr-distortion-plus-mods-1

Found it by accident.
I found this so interesting that I currently have a prototype PCB fabbed which allows to try all of the mods.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

pietro_moog

what do you mean? i just posted a couple of simple mods. better volume and a simple tone control.
that Wampler schematic is a completely different pedal, the gain is different, clipping, and the other stuff..
i like the classic distortion plus, i just fixed it for myself and i wanted to share

Thomas_H

Your mod is great advise.
I just wanted to point out that there is an article about this pedal family that lists a lot of possible mods and explains how they work.

One attempt is to get more volume and the tone filter mod you did is explained as well although it is using different component values.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

angrykoko

+1 for the Dist +,  It's my favorite OD (or whatever class of pedal it falls into).
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

midwayfair

it might help if you linked to the schematic you're using. Part numbers aren't helpful in a vacuum. ;)

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gordo

This thread had me jonesing for a Dist+ so I got busy with Eagle and did the stock board (and will incorporate pietro's mods) and the Wampler mod version.  Both are single sided so will post when I'm able to verify them.  I'm in New Jersey for one more week and looking forward to getting home and etching them.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?