News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Obi-Wan Compressor/Booster

Started by irmcdermott, May 30, 2012, 04:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Hey gang,

Had a friend ask me, "Can you build me a Strymon OB.1?" I said "No, but I can build you an optical compressor and clean boost in one box and it's the same concept."

Here is what resulted. The boards may look familiar, since I was building this one for cost and not making money, I used existing layouts (which those who know me know that if I am building for money, I make my own PCB layouts). The compressor is Bajaman's layout of the Demeter Compulator, and the boost side is madbean's Thunderpuss board. It was interesting fitting the two boards in the case with everything else. Sounds good. Good enough that I may just take the time and make a layout in Eagle for it to call my own.

Powder is Columbia Coatings Dormant Sparkle Orange. Waterslide decal.

Here's the pics:

Outside

Inside

Instagram

Let me know what you think!

Ian

night-B

jkokura

Ian. You're killing me. I love it.

What do you think of the compulator? Did you try many vactrols?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

midwayfair

!!!

This is the pedal you're looking for!

Bret608

I like this idea...if you did a layout for this and made it available, consider me in!

Do you do your own powdercoating? It always looks like PPP quality, but you have colors that they don't sometimes. Colors that I like a lot...

irmcdermott

Quote from: jkokura on May 30, 2012, 05:03:54 AM
What do you think of the compulator? Did you try many vactrols?

The compulator is nice. I think I prefer a Ross more, but this guy wanted an optical. I didn't try other Vactrols because, well, they aren't cheap :) So I stuck the stock one in there. I'm having some issues after boxing it up that weren't there when I tested it, big loss in volume and some other things, so once it's totally functioning at 100% again, I'll see what I think. I've had a bad run of things working out of box, then going haywire once in box. The thing irking me with this one is that since I've taken it out of box and put it back on my protoboard, it's not working properly. Time to bust out the audio probe.

Quote from: Bret608 on May 30, 2012, 03:46:53 PM
Do you do your own powdercoating?

I sure do. Not too bad of a start up cost, and a lot of fun to do.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Ian

irmcdermott

Update on this one.

After playing around with this one a lot, I found myself liking the Compulator less and less. I built up a Flatline on vero real quick and replaced it with that. Much happier with the results, and I think the guy I built it for will be too.