News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

bloviator

Started by al heeley, May 24, 2012, 08:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al heeley

just put together a bloviator pedal, sounding really sweet, its interesting to hear how the sound is enhanced so much by this circuit, when you turn it off the guitar sounds so weak and 2 dimensional. I cannot figure out with my ears exactly whats happening to the sound - its just warmer and fuller but no real db boost going on. Nice. Subtle but sems to enhance chorus and phase effects as well.
How about a bass version - is it possible to swap out an input cap or filter to get a bass-friendly version of this?

al heeley

another Q: best place in the signal chain to combine with overdrive and chorus? Before or after the fx?

mgwhit

The Sonic Stomp doesn't have a bass-specific version (that I know about), but is frequently used for bass guitar just fine.

The input high-pass filter on the Bloviator appears to have a corner frequency of about 34Hz, which should be low enough for anything.  I can't find any other parts of the circuit that you should worry about.  Since the Contour control is supposed to boost at 50Hz you're definitely working down in the bass guitar zone.

al heeley

thats great, thx for the info, i will give it a try with the bass rig as soon as the paint dries ;)

BassXtreme

Quote from: al heeley on May 24, 2012, 08:54:37 PM
just put together a bloviator pedal, sounding really sweet, its interesting to hear how the sound is enhanced so much by this circuit, when you turn it off the guitar sounds so weak and 2 dimensional. I cannot figure out with my ears exactly whats happening to the sound - its just warmer and fuller but no real db boost going on. Nice. Subtle but sems to enhance chorus and phase effects as well.
How about a bass version - is it possible to swap out an input cap or filter to get a bass-friendly version of this?

I made a bass version of this pedal and it sounds incredible. These are the changes I made.

C2 4.7uF poly film
C3 rotary switch 1n/3n3/6n8/13n6
C4 rotary switch 22n/47n/68n/100n
I put rotary switches there so it can boost different frequencies. You can turn R15 into a mid boost/cut by substituting the 39K for 10k res + 50K linear pot in series. and you can turn R17 into a gain boost by adding a 50K linear pot in series with the 56K resistor.

Hangingmonkey

How about doing a youtube vid or a soundclip.  Ive been thinking about making one of these