News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about germanium diodes

Started by Hangingmonkey, May 16, 2012, 01:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangingmonkey

Hi there, Im sure this is a totally noob and totally stupid question but I have no shame so I thought Id ask...

I was fitting some geramanium diodes into the PCB (1n270's into the afterlife compressor) and while bending the pins, a small piece of the glass broke off.  Will the diode still work or will I need to order some more?  I wasnt sure if the glass had a purpose or if it was there just to make the diode look nice (and it does look nice).

Thanks for your help...

oldhousescott

The easiest way to know is to test it with a multi-meter, if you have one (and you should!)

I found it humorously ironic that your current status, based on post count, is "diode destroyer".....

Scruffie

Quote from: oldhousescott on May 16, 2012, 01:50:42 PM
I found it humorously ironic that your current status, based on post count, is "diode destroyer".....
:D

Well i've had germanium transistors with chips out of them work but it depends how deep a chip it is i'd say, if it's just a bit off the side and doesn't break through to the semi-conductor inside, probably fine.
Works at Lectric-FX

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: oldhousescott on May 16, 2012, 01:50:42 PM
The easiest way to know is to test it with a multi-meter, if you have one (and you should!)

;D ;D
LOL good spot!

I'll post some pics up and you can see the damage.  Ive tested it with a DMM and its conducting. 

Hangingmonkey

Heres the pics, what do you guys make of the damage.  Sorry about the size of the images but I didnt downsize them because I wanted to show the detail of the damage

plesur

If you have a diode test setting on your multimeter, test the diode with that. One way it should give a reading of about 0.2-0.3 volts. The other way there should be no reading. If it does this, then it is working OK.

If you don't have a diode setting on your multimeter, have a look at this page:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/projects/simplet.htm
where you can see instructions on how to build a simple component tester.

Hangingmonkey

Thanks for the info.
Incidentally, I thought Id give it a try as I measured a 0.37v reading across it and as i bent the pins to mount it, the whole thing snapped in half. I guess I am truely the diode destroyer!

sgmezei

I think everyone has done that once. I know I have!

Try using needle nose pliers to hold the lead just after it comes out of the glass case. Then you can bend it without putting stress on the glass.

Any other tips folks?

GermanCdn

I generally leave my germaniums to the very last thing I install on the board, or at least until I've got some caps around them for protection.  I find that I'm equally as likely to break them when I bend them as when I inadvertently exert a little too much pressure on them.  I use the two plier (sounds like cheap toilet paper) method as well to minimize any stress on the glass.

I've broken some and had them keep working, and others not.  Typically, if I have no spares on hand, the broken ones won't work.  Go figure  :-\.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.