News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

snack shack - dam meathead

Started by eniacmike, October 07, 2010, 08:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

This is a great fuzz! I recommend it to everybody here at least throw one up on the breadboard. I have tried to make silicon fuzz faces before and they always sucked and had spitty nasty decay or sounded thin but this is really refined. The harmonic content is great (complex jazzy chords test) the clean up is also great which is unusual for a SI fuzz. I toyed with making a deluxe version but really you already have a gain control on your guitar and it works! Some fuzzes also seem like an "iron" that flatten over your tone so pickup selection doesn't matter but you can really hear the difference between pickups.

I ended up using 2n3904's in q1 and q2. I socketed and tried a bunch of different combos and this was my favorite. It is not overtly noisy at all.

I am not sure if my parts qualify as mojo or not, but I used lelon "sweet" tea electrolytics and panasonic ecq-e input and output caps. for some reason the output cap is alot smaller in size but I think I mouser was out of one of the voltage ratings so I got the next closest one. It doesn't really matter they sound fine, I was going to get some orange drops but they seemed really expensive compared to these caps.

This is my 3rd etched board, I am starting to get the hang of it. I am going to record a demo video and I will post it when I get it edited and uploaded.

stecykmi

good stuff. i like the finish too. what's the translation of that french writing?

eniacmike

It reads "sois jeune et tais toi" which translates to "Be young and shut up," with silhouette caricature of General de Gaulle.