News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover question

Started by TNblueshawk, May 15, 2012, 06:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

What exaclty is "zero flanging effect"?

In the layout you have a snd/rtn pads. What does this option do or why is it there I guess?
John

Scruffie

It comes from where in the past, flanging was achieved by putting your finger on the tape reel so that it slowed and modulated and the through zero point is where it catches back up... in very simple terms.

With BBD effects, this isn't possible, unless you add another short delay line which the flangeing can 'over take' so to speak and cross over the original signal.

Basically it sounds... weird, it's very ethreal sounding and your brain/ears can't quite work out what's happening in the sound, it's like a point of nothingness but still there.

You can hear it at about 50 seconds on 'Itchychoo Park' By the Small Faces and on Hendrix House Burning Down.

Upon experimenting with Through zero designs, I wouldn't bother trying to add it to the Electric Mistress.
Works at Lectric-FX

TNblueshawk

Interesting. Had never read it like that. I knew about the tape flanging thing but only at a very generic level. Thanks Scruff. I believe I'll pass for my purposes.
John