News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PNP zygote LED

Started by claytushaywood, May 06, 2012, 02:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I cant get the LED working on my zygote!

it is a working led for sure...

the wiring diagram shows the ground going to the battery snap and then the battery snap black going to the CLR and LED.  I dont know how to juncture two wires exactly at the battery clip.  so I took a wire going off the board and met the black battery wire and the CLR all together in the middle.  I am positive everything is wired fine.  The fuzz works perfectly.  (great circuit too!  but actually wondering... my "drain" doesnt get as weird as I thought).

the lED does work.  I actually took the battery and directly placed the two contacts against the led wire going to the footswitch and the lead of the CLR and the LED lit up.

other PNP fuzz pedals I've played havent had LED's or have had leds that you have to use a power supply JUST to turn the LED on (red witch fuzz god germanium version---- i'd love to add a double fuzz footswitch like that pedal and the knob that sends it into insanity... kinda what i was hoping for...)

I love how this circuit can go from traditional sounding moderate fuzz to pretty crazy... but I'd love to get it just a little bit crazier.

Would adding an external BIAS knob be a good idea?  As I said the drain isnt as extreme sounding as I thought, even with a boost in front (I have single coils), it's not quite there.

another long post- sorry!  thanks for reading!

jkokura

An exterior bias control is sometimes handy if you like to play with voltage sag. The more common and appreciated mod here is the Pre gain knob.

Have you got your LED backwards? Easy mistake to make. Also, it's possible you blew the LED when testing with the battery the way you did, though that may not be it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

claytushaywood

I really should have a list written down of stupid stuff you can do that makes effects not work... that'd be handy...like...
1.)LED backwards
2.)output and input mixed up
3.) not plugged in

Thing is, i previously checked the LED for being backwards... must have been my evil cat.

Isnt the strain basically a pregain knob?  i'd be interested if I could increase the amount of pregain.  is that possible?

Doesnt the drain knob do voltage sag stuff?  in my experience the voltage sag thing had more of an effect on other fuzz pedals... maybe due to more gain?

Wouldnt adjusting the bias be different?  Should I use a 20k pot or would it be difficult to get the bias to the stanard 4.5v?