News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

zygote wiring help

Started by claytushaywood, April 21, 2012, 11:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I'm a little confused about wiring up the zygote for my breadboard test before I box it... I'm just doing PNP with battery power
I had the battery in with red going to - on breadboard and black to + and my input and output jacks grounds going to + (and I tried negative)...

I understand that the little notch on the transistors is supposed to be the Emitter... but what are the rest supposed to be?  I think I have weird transistors, but I can figure out what leads are which with my DMM, but I dont know what leads are which on the board... the doc doesnt say- I guess its a standard thing, but i'm not sure with PNP.  Can someone tell me what Q1 is from top to bottom in PNP?  I know top is Emitter whats middle and bottom leads?

also, the doc says to go from -9v pad to black battery clip lead

I've tried a couple different things, I hope I havent fried it,  is that a possibility?  I've only been using a battery...

Actually I may have my electrolytics wrong, I have the typical blue BC axial lytics- I just put the indented end towards the little mark on the PNP layout- looked like positive was going to ground to me.

Help would be much appreciated!!!  I tried taking a voltage off the trim pot, but i was only getting like .78v no matter where the trimp pot was

jkokura

First off, your ground is still -, so make sure your jacks sleeves are still going to the ground of the breadboard.

You do need to know what each leg of your transistor is - it won't work if you put the legs into the wrong spot. With the electrolytics, the long leg is + and goes to ground. The other leg may have a negative marking on the body and should be shorter.

Probably no frying has happened as of yet. What's more likely is you've made a mistake somewhere. Fortunately, the Fuzz Face is one of the simplest circuits. I recommend starting over and taking your time.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

claytushaywood

I finally got it... Sorry was being too impatient with a long weekend and trying to finish and test way too many boards.  I did finish 3 fuzzes and 3 overdrives though!  tonight is gonna be boxing mania.  First PNP thought I had it down, did about 45 minutes of fried brain research... which equated about nothing.

thank you!