News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Uproar Problem...Very little (almost no) volume - Where do I start?

Started by goldfixe, September 22, 2011, 05:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldfixe

Okay, so, I've go the uproar board all wired up and found in testing that there is really no volume there.  I have to crank my amp to hear the slightest of sound.  It sounds like a distorted guitar but only a whisper.  I've checked all my components and from what I can tell they are all okay (the circuit is completing).

When the pedal is engaged D8 and D9 light up while playing but I have not seen D7 light up at all. 

I need to know where to start to troubleshoot.  Are there specific caps or resistors that would cause a huge volume decrease?  I just don't know what to look for and know there are some wizards on here that do.

jkokura

The first thing I would do is verify that R10 is 100R. It's easy to make the mistake and use a 100K resistor there. if you did, the effect would have the sound you are describing. If that's fine, the next step is to take an audio probe to the board.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

goldfixe

Just checked and R10 is, in fact, 100R.  I'll have to make an audio probe to go about it that way.  Any other suggestions before I dove into that?

jkokura

Just to check the rest of the parts and your voltages

I wonder how you checked it - did you read the part's colour code or did you remove it and verify it with a DMM?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

goldfixe

mgwhit

I'm shocked you could get a good reading at all then.  Usually the presence of other components on the board totally messes up in-place resistance readings.

If this is a 1% tolerance metal film resistor, it should be brown black black black brown (1 0 0 x1 @ 1%).

Edit: Regarding your D7 not lighting up, you may just have the LED oriented backwards. Triple check that you've got the cathode oriented towards ground.  And don't just compare to D8 and D9 -- you could have those backwards, too, but they'd still work because of how they're paired.  I know it's hard to hear because of your volume problem, but are you getting any distortion in the SIL/LED mode?

goldfixe

Yes, distortion is coming through.  From what I can tell, it seems the gain portion of the circuit is working but the output somewhere is getting messed up.

Tanaka