News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soldering board-mounted pots on Cosmo

Started by Bret608, April 19, 2012, 03:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

I'm wondering, what techniques do folks use to solder board-mounted pots on the solder side of an etched board like the Cosmo I'm working on? I'm not at the point of doing the pots yet so thought I'd be proactive!

I was thinking one of those "third hand"-type tools could help. Do any of you have other suggestions or tips? I searched around on the forum and didn't have much luck (then again my brain isn't exactly in proper search term mode today!).

Thanks,

Bret

DutchMF

He Bret, check this out: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3908.0

If you wanna make one shaped for your cosmo, just measure the distance between the pads and adjust the shape, should work like a dream!

I used the cardboard that has ribs sandwiched between two layers of paper, and used two layers of that, with the ribs at a 90 degree angle for maximum stiffness in all directions. Might be a bit overkill, but engineers get that way when there is little or no money involved......  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

murdog47

madbean

A much less elegant way is to...oh never mind, Paul's thing is too cool.

(but I do use 3m foam tape to hold mine in place the solder)

Bret608

Ah that's right! Thanks for reminding me. I even posted a reply about the Cosmo on that thread!

I think I'll try this out. Looking at what I posted on the other thread, I think I thought I would have some special issues since on an etched board the pots have to be soldered on the solder side. I see now that If I can flip it somehow I should be able to get it to work.

Thanks Paul!

And by the way, what would it take for me to convince you to whip out your Autocad skills on the Cosmopolitan and make me a template?

DutchMF

Quote from: Bret608 on April 19, 2012, 05:56:05 PM
And by the way, what would it take for me to convince you to whip out your Autocad skills on the Cosmopolitan and make me a template?

A time-generator! No, just measure up the distance between the middle holes of all pots (there are 5, 2 on the bottom row, 3 on the top, so you should have at least 4 measurements, but please be clear on what you measured!) and I'll try to put something together. Might take a few days though, work is killing me!

Paul

BTW: I'm dutch, which means metric, so mm would be awesome!

alanp

Better than me -- I balance the board and pots on a kludge up of tools, scissors, shot glasses, and anything near to hand that's the right height. Then I solder before it all falls down.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DutchMF

Alan, you are a true DIY'er! What you do is so much easier and faster than measuring everything 20 times, getting behind the computer, drawing the whole thing in Autocad, printing it at the right scale, cutting out a template (and do it again, because the first one went wrong), sticking the thing together, going through the whole process again because the first one didn't turn out the way I planned etc, etc...... Ideas like this are cool, but being a bit compulsive and having to much tools/computers/software etc. doesn't make it better or faster. But it is fun!!  :)

What I mean to say is: the results count. If you have a way that works to get the pots on the board, cool! If not, try my way and spend a ridiculous amount of time  ;D

alanp

Heh... I also use cut up icecream container lids for insulation, rather than spend money on pot condoms  ;D

Just be sure to cut them out (using the outline of the board PLUS the holes for the pots) before you solder, and if you can't insert it after putting the pots on, then solder the pots on with it in place :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on April 19, 2012, 08:10:31 PM
Heh... I also use cut up icecream container lids for insulation, rather than spend money on pot condoms  ;D

Just be sure to cut them out (using the outline of the board PLUS the holes for the pots) before you solder, and if you can't insert it after putting the pots on, then solder the pots on with it in place :)

Have you seen the pot dust covers from Small Bear?  They are only 7 cents a piece and work very well.  Some of the other pot condoms are quite a bit more money.  I also like that the Small Bear ones are flat faced.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

I know what you mean about the pot condoms, Pickdropper. They add some height for sure (but are cool if you're not using board-mounted pots). I tried to get some of the $.07 cent covers from SB and they are sold out!

I will try to get that together Paul...if I can't get my addled brain to think in mm, I will have a go myself!  ;)

pickdropper

As far as the original question, I found that the pots stayed in place fairly well just by friction on the fantastic board from Haberdasher.  I just used a Panavise to hold the board and keep it off of my work surface while soldering.

For most boards, I just let them sit on the desk or lift them off slightly by balancing them on the handle of some side cutters (high tech fixturing).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

DutchMF

Quote from: Bret608 on April 19, 2012, 09:22:29 PM
I will try to get that together Paul...if I can't get my addled brain to think in mm, I will have a go myself!  ;)

The conversion is not really hard, just multiply inches with 25.4 and you have mm.... I'm more concerned about the precision.

Paul