News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Powder coated enclosures

Started by chromesphere, March 07, 2016, 12:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey guys, not sure if anyone has brought this up before but I received a couple of powder coated enclosures from tayda (couldn't be bothered getting all the gear out for 2 enclosures).  Its only an extra 50c for powder coating, but alas, quality is pretty poor.  Not sure what else I was expecting or what im trying to achieve from this post, maybe just a warning if you are going to use them for anything that requires a good aesthetic, probably wouldn't use these.  The white enclosure has black dots in it (powder coating gun not cleaned out properly perhaps?) and the black enclosure has scratches and scuffs all over it, quite badly.  My powder coating jobs are much more presentable and that's saying something because even mine are a bit rough.

I guess for our fellow forumites sake if some of you experienced builders have a preferred supplier for prepainted enclosure with good quality finish, this thread might be a good one to recommend it (pedal parts plus seem to get a good wrap?).  These are probably fine for just personal / hobby level builds, I wouldn't use them for anything you planned to resell though.

Took some photos but you cant see most of the imperfections in the photos but believe me, their rough!

Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

rmfroyd

I have bought 2.  The black was satin and pretty damned nice.  The white was gloss, and more offwhite/vintage white and had plenty of dust specs.

I would buy the black again for sure, not the white.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

chromesphere

That's interesting, mine are the same black / satin and white / gloss.  My black satin looks like it has been used for a door stop for 2 weeks, scratches and scuffs all over it.  I may have been unlucky.

pickdropper

I grabbed a couple on my last order out of curiosity.

The black ones look pretty decent.  Not perfect, but not too bad.  The white one was filthy, even though it had shrink wrap on it.  I got it mostly clean, but it took a lot of elbow grease.

I haven't etched either so I don't know how good they look underneath the powder coat.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

I wonder how they stack up against BLMS cheap powdercoated boxes?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

chromesphere

Quote from: culturejam on March 07, 2016, 02:55:20 AM
I wonder how they stack up against BLMS cheap powdercoated boxes?

Vertically? hah, hilarious...

Heres a photo of my enclosure, they actually look decent but yeah as I said, they are very rough in person.   Showing the photo here mainly because you can clearly see A FEW of the deeper scratches on the black enclosure (the whole face is covered with scratches and scuffs).  I realise 50c is 50c and a lot of that will probably be disguised under decals, knobs etc, but yeah, I wouldn't use them for anything I care too much about.  You also cant see much of the dots in the white enclosure but its covered in them.

rmfroyd

Here are mine, both Laser-Etched

The black one was def the better of the two.

darrenw6000

sturgeo

Looks like they engrave well with the laser, much better than the hammond enclosures!
I've literally just done a tayda order with the discount, should've popped a 1590B on to test  :(

chromesphere

Your white enclosure doesn't appear to have black specks all over it rmfroyd and your black enclosure certainly doesn't have scratches...wonder if I was unlucky or perhaps their last batch was a little rough...

rmfroyd

Sorry, when i said specks in the white one, i didnt mean black specs, but dust specs that show up on the gloss finish of the white one, hard to photograph.  Either way it wasnt quite as perfect as i was hoping. 

Too bad yours are so rough.  Maybe you could do a relic job on them?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

chromesphere

I will have to take another look at them tonight rmfroyd, I cant remember if they were black, but your description sounds the same as mine.  Good idea on the relic job.  To be honest I think with decal / gloss coat / knobs and washers everywhere, they wont look TOO BAD...Or maybe ill try poscas and epoxy again, im sure they will hide most of the crap.  But yeah, next time I will probably get the powder gun out :) 

If people on here don't have a powder gun and want a cheap powder coated enclosure, worts and all, I think these would be ok. 

Mojo Fandangle

Yeah, the white ones I bought weren't speckled but were bubbly and dribbly in parts but it's 50 cents extra so I was okay with it.
From the sound of it, I'd give the black ones a go next time
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally