News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Running Uproar at 18v?

Started by timbo_93631, March 28, 2012, 08:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Just for kicks I have been messing with opamps in my Uproar, different types (4580D, TL072, BURR BROWN OPA2134PA) and stacked opamps with various combinations.  This got me to think about running it at a higer voltage.  After checking all the datasheets the input voltage min is 2v and max is 18v on all types with the exception of the 4580D datasheet which had a note that stated the max was 18v but the recommended max operating voltage is 15v.  If I have two 4580D's stacked what happens to that voltage rating?  I don't think it would be doubled like a passive component.  Anyone know?  Also if I plan on regularly running my uproar at 18v will a 4.7k CLR be enough to protect the LED?
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jkokura

Yes the 4.7K will be enough, but it may become brighter than you'll be used to. In that case try going with a 10K, which may not be 'super bright' at 9V, but will be bright enough, and will be a more reasonable brightness for the 18V.

I was using 1K's at 9V until I found I was ruining the darkened stage effect...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

oldhousescott

This got me thinking about constant current sources for the LED and I found out there is a class of devices called "current regulator diodes" or "current limiting diodes" which are actually active devices that will regulate a current across a range of applied voltage. These might be the ticket for LED drivers in pedals that accept 9v to 18v input. Mouser PN 954-S-103T is a 10mA/50v max current regulator diode. They come in different mA ratings if you like brighter or darker illumination. Just substitute for the CLR in the circuit. Someone should grab a few and see how well they work.

timbo_93631

I left it as is, the LED I have in there is a ratshack diffused green 5mm, with 4.7k CLR it was fine at 18v.  I tried it with two sets of stacked IC's, TL072/OPA2134PA fo IC1 and TL072/4580D for IC2.  Sounded pretty dang smooth at practice last night.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups