News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag v3205 Output?

Started by jwpartain1, March 09, 2012, 08:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwpartain1

Hey!

I've got a problem with my Dirtbag build: namely I have no delay out from pin 3 of IC4 or pin 3 IC5. I do have input to pin 7 of IC4, but no input to pin 7 of IC5. It seems as though the v3205's are nonfunctional, or at least IC4 is. Are the Cool Audio chips available at Small Bear pretty reliable in general?

Thanks,
Justin

madbean

Do you have output on pin4 of IC4? There are two outputs per IC.

Any noise on pins 2 or 6 of IC4? That is where the clock signal goes. If there is no clock noise on either pin, then the v3205s may not be the problem...it could be the clock.

jwpartain1

Ah I see. No, all I get is whine or no noise at all on any pin other than 7 of IC4. I'll check the clock circuit block, thanks for the speedy reply!

jwpartain1

Eh.. I find in my builds I only make the most obvious mistakes. The little V jumper on the board, I actually connected both sides of the V, not just one side as is required. Do you think I damaged the v3205's? I have corrected the error, but I still have no delay output from either. Also, the input to pin 7 of IC4 (signal input to the v3205's) is compressed and distorted relative to the signal I had there earlier, which was loud relative to the input signal before.

It may possibly be my power supply, as the supply I'm testing with now is a cheap Walmart supply. I'll test it with a different later this week and let you guys know.

jwpartain1

Well, I hooked up the circuit to a proper power supply and put an oscilloscope to a few points.

Anyways, the v3205's seem to be ignoring any input signal, yet outputs a sawtooth at whatever clock frequency (decided by the DELAY pot) you're sending to it is. In other words, if I set the DELAY pot to about half-way the v3205's both output a 25kHz sawtooth. The clock is sending a square-wave as expected, mind you.

So, I'm guessing the v3205's were damaged when I screwed up the V jumper. Attached are a couple of scope shots at various points.

The first is the input signal (300Hz) at pin 7 of IC4. The second is the output of IC4 at pin 3. And finally, the third is the output at pin 3  of IC5. Take note that even though IC4 and IC5 have different input signals, they are outputting basically the same thing.

Any ideas? Do y'all think I need to order some new one's? Thanks, guys/gals.

jwpartain1

I don't mean to bump an old thread, but I've replaced the v3205's with no luck. Just an update. Any thoughts are welcome.