News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

help fixing a wah?

Started by jtn191, March 17, 2012, 04:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

Hey, I don't have any experience with wahs and so I think the inductor on mine has me a bit baffled.
Here's the story:

I bought a "broken" wah--Cry Baby GCB rev G-- from a guy on BYOC, intending to put my own wah circuit in it. He says he modded it (changed a few resistors and caps) and it was working fine until he dropped it. Now it acts like a volume pedal. I got bored last night and decided to fix it. From the underside, everything looks fine--all clean soldering, no glaring problems. I first checked the 4.7uF electro because problems with that one is supposedly likely to turn a wah into a volume pedal--but it's going to ground just fine. Someone suggested the inductor might be faulty due to the drop...I measured 160k ohms between the pins not touching on it. My audio probe showed that the volume effect was present on the base of Q1

my board looks like this one

jtn191

bump...anyone know about faulty inductors?

jkokura

dropped it? Indicates broken solder joints to me...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Davefx

Check the area where the 4.7uf cap is. When these go bad, it acts like a volume pedal.  So could be a broken trace possibly in that area of the circuit, like Jacob said.

Dave

jtn191

Quote from: jtn191 on March 17, 2012, 04:24:39 PM
I first checked the 4.7uF electro because problems with that one is supposedly likely to turn a wah into a volume pedal--but it's going to ground just fine.

Davefx

Jesus.. My bad.. sorry.. ADHD.. Just when I thought I would help someone.. :P

timbo_93631

If the inductor has a broken solder joint it'll act like a volume pedal, I'd check there.  It would be weird to get a reading of 160k across the pins of the inductor, should be like 15-20ohms
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups