News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bloviator and Cupcake (aka cherry squeezer) pics

Started by IPFreely, March 20, 2012, 09:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IPFreely

I built a bloviator and a cupcake (orange squeezer). I really like the bloviator but the cupcake is pretty lame tone wise. I'm really glad I bought the madbean version and not some over priced boutique one. I don't get what all the hype is on that one. Regardless of that major issue, my version is way cooler than an orange squeezer. :)

I also made the amp they're sitting on...

jkokura

I like all this themeiness! I love it when people tie their whole rig together with some DIY approach. Cool stuff!

Any chance on the guts?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

IPFreely

Thanks man. I was checking out your site, you have some cool stuff. What's the story on your opto compressor? Did you design that yourself or is it something you tweaked based on another design? I've been looking for a good compressor for a while and still haven't found one that I like yet.

Are you aware that small bear has chrome washers that fit the stomp switch? I always cringe when I see a nice design with a big white plastic washer.

I don't have any gut shots of my pedals yet, I suppose I should take some but its pretty standard stuff in there. I know you need your fix tho so how about one of the amp?

nzCdog

Very cool man.   8)  Moar deetails required!  Whats the amp and whats the idea behind your setup??

jkokura

Quote from: IPFreely on March 21, 2012, 07:16:30 AM
Thanks man. I was checking out your site, you have some cool stuff. What's the story on your opto compressor? Did you design that yourself or is it something you tweaked based on another design? I've been looking for a good compressor for a while and still haven't found one that I like yet.

Are you aware that small bear has chrome washers that fit the stomp switch? I always cringe when I see a nice design with a big white plastic washer.

Thanks very much! The opto comp is a tweaked version of an existing design yes. Most pedals are, even if people say they've designed it themselves they're still utilizing tried and true elements put into practice elsewhere. The only pedal I really 'designed' myself is the vibrato.

You can walk into any decent hardware store and find metal washers, you don't have to get them from Smallbear. I could be using metal, but I actually prefer the white ones. If a guy isn't going to buy a pedal from me because of the washer on the stomp switch, he's caring a little too much about appearances in my book. These are boxes we step on all night, and the only ones who really look at them are those who play with them. I guess if someone asked for them I could run down to Home Hardware...

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

IPFreely

Quote from: jkokura on March 21, 2012, 03:33:09 PM

You can walk into any decent hardware store and find metal washers, you don't have to get them from Smallbear. I could be using metal, but I actually prefer the white ones. If a guy isn't going to buy a pedal from me because of the washer on the stomp switch, he's caring a little too much about appearances in my book. These are boxes we step on all night, and the only ones who really look at them are those who play with them. I guess if someone asked for them I could run down to Home Hardware...

Jacob

I looked in a few hardware stores and couldn't find ones that fit or looked good. That white plastic rarely ever matches with anything else on the pedal. From a design stand point you put a lot of effort into the over all look of your stuff even if it doesn't seem like it now. Chrome is always cooler and it matches with the switch itself and the jacks. People locally might not look at your pedals but us freaks online are!

And what if children are present? Won't you think of the children??  ???

jkokura

You aren't the first to voice this opinion - this debate is as old as the Taiwanese 3PDT has been in production. Comes down to I like the white better.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

IPFreely

Quote from: nzCdog on March 21, 2012, 07:24:38 AM
Very cool man.   8)  Moar deetails required!  Whats the amp and whats the idea behind your setup??

Thanks.  :)

Are you sure you really want to know moar? It can be OCD forming! Ok well at least I tried to warn you. It's a high octane amp from ax84 dot com. I've turned it into a super high octane with a bunch of mods. They have a number of amp designs you can download for free and build. Fun stuff.

The idea behind this one is to keep everything together and have the pedals where I can reach them to tinker with them. I also like experimenting with different tube tones so by having an open design I can swap tubes easily. (That particular amp also has an octal power tube socket so I can run big bottle tubes too when I feel like it.) One option I'm currently messing with is to have an RJM mini effect gizmo stuffed in there so I can turn the pedals on and off from a midi pedal on the floor. Here's what that would like:

IPFreely

Quote from: jkokura on March 21, 2012, 06:50:34 PM
You aren't the first to voice this opinion - this debate is as old as the Taiwanese 3PDT has been in production. Comes down to I like the white better.

Jacob

<insert flame here>

<and insert flame here>