News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low rider tracking issue once boxed

Started by djaaz, March 13, 2012, 01:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djaaz

Hi guys,

I'm getting unlucky with my boxing: i just boxed an incredibly well working low rider and the tracking took a hit in the process for OC1.
It's not very bad but it's nothing like it was.

I mounted the dc supply jack above R49. Could damaging it have weaken the tracking?
The OC1 knob works as it did before.

Otherwise, where to check first?

nzCdog

djaaz... there are a plethora of causes for a pedal circuit to fault during the install.  :(

Unfortunately it means the tedious process of a thorough and systematic checking over.  There's always a reason these things happen so retracing your steps is a good place to start.   

Failing something obvious take a look at the schematic for the parts related to the fault.  If by OC1 you mean UOC1, then examine all the parts around IC6... including the pot.  90% of the time it will be a bad solder connection. Sometimes a shaving from the drilling process will be causing a problem. Otherwise parts or the board may have been damaged during install.  Print out the schematic and go through the parts with a pencil checking it systematically.

If you want to post some voltages I can compare it with my Lowrider for some clues

add4

I don't have this issue, but i'd LOVE to have voltages for the lowrider to work on the extreme fizziness of the upper octave on mine ..
:)

djaaz

Fair point, thanks!

So i may ask the question in a different way: could R49 have a influence on the tracking?
This is the only component i can think of that could have been impacted or damaged in the boxing.

The thing is that the pedal keeps working, but not as well as out of the box and in this case i can't see the IC voltage showing anything.

I'll start by changing R49 and see if this changes anything and post IC's voltage otherwise.

nzCdog

Quote from: add4 on March 14, 2012, 10:10:46 AM
I don't have this issue, but i'd LOVE to have voltages for the lowrider to work on the extreme fizziness of the upper octave on mine ..
:)

Hey man sorry I forgot to do this... I'll get the meter out tonight and do some probing for ya ;)

nzCdog

Ok!  I have my VR set to 5V... This is done using the trimpot.  You can measure that at numerous places in the circuit but Pin 12 of IC6 is one place to check this.

Here's the voltages for IC6:
Pin# - Volts
1 - 5V
2 - 5V
3 - 5V
4 - 9.1V (My power supply outputs 9.1V)
5 - 5V
6 - 5V
7 - 5V
8 - 5V
9 - 5V
10 - 5V
11 - 0V
12 - 5V
13 - 5V
14 - 4.9V

C10 is 10n, C12 is 33n, Stock values.  When I had the reduced value suggestions for these caps I had fuzziness.  Sounded kinda cool, but not what I was after.  Now my upper octave is quite faint, but nice for blending in