News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener Wah Recommendations?

Started by frankie5fingers, March 04, 2012, 12:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Hello all.  New to the Forum.  Just got a Weener wah and I'm about to order some caps - I plan to socket C1 and C5 (per Timbo's post) and try a few different values there, was wondering if anyone else has some recommendations for different caps or trannies or are the BOM recommendations tried and true?  I'l be using it on a home board through an old 50's tweed Pro which is fairly trebley when cranked so I want to avoid any harsh highs, definitely want a nice vocal tone, and low noise for clean play.
Thanks in advance.

timbo_93631

People have had good experiences with the stock values in the BOM as well as with the 2n2925 transistors and mojo caps I have for sale.  I think it is a good idea to socket or breadboard Q1 and Q3, R2 and R4, and C1 and C5  if you really want to fine tune it to your setup.  Good luck with your build!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

frankie5fingers

I always socket the trannies - and I planned to do the same with C1 and C5, I have a bunch of trannies and caps I can try.  I'm curious about the reisistor socketing you mention though; I planned a 220 for R4 (again per your suggestion).  What's the thinking on R2?

Thanks.

timbo_93631

R2 is going to set the overall volume when the wah is on, if you get a volume drop when the wah is on, you need to go with a lower value, higher if you get a volume boost.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

frankie5fingers

Got it... I'm just waitin on the Whipple - I appreciate the reply, thanks Timbo.