News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy MN3005 - power options

Started by Chi_Boy, February 02, 2012, 04:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Quote from: madbean on March 06, 2012, 10:30:41 PM
In this case, the "wall" is actually going to be the 18v and regulated 15v supplies, instead of a resistor. So, you remove the resistor and connect the 15v to the pin pad of R19 that connects to the VDD supply portion of the circuit. The other pin of the resistor is connected to the 18v supply automatically through the PCB, and is left empty because the 18v supply is already going to be connected to the "9v" pad.

As luck woudl have it I ordered some of those today already.

Brian, hang with me here and I apologize for not getting this right off. The regulator above has 3 pins. You are saying all three of those pins connect into the one eyelet of R19 on the VDD supply end of things? So you solder a wire to each leg of the regulator, twist all 3 wires together and solder into R19? ?

I must say, I have yet to do something like this thus my dumbness I guess.
John

madbean

Everyone does something new now and again. It's nothing to be worried about.

The regulator two supply pins and a ground pin. One supply accepts the input voltage and the other supply pin spits out the regulated voltage. That's the pin that gets wired to the one pad on the PCB in place of R19.

Most of the time, you also hook up some largish electrolytic caps for filtering, but in this case, you probably won't need to because you already have those on the populated PCB.

So, you should use some perf for the regulator, connect three wires to three pads, solder the pins from the regulator to adjacent pads and make sure you have each pin soldered to one wire. You should look at the datasheet to see which pin does what. Connect the wires to their respective destinations--18v, ground and the VDD supply on the PCB.

I recommend using a large enough amount of perf so that you can bend the pins of the regulator at a 90 deg angle and lay the regulator flat. This will allow you to more easily mount in in the enclosure (like on a free inside wall) since that type of regulator is larger than the ones you see in regular transistor size casings.

gtr2

If you have the version 2 of the aquaboy you should be able to desolder R19 (if its populated already) and place the regulator there.  It has a ground pad right at R19 to accommodate the use of a TO-90 regulator.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

Thanks so much for the info guys. I know this, by pure luck I'm glad I am putting this into a 1590BB Tall. That Tall part will come in handy.

Josh, I do have that ground plane on the PCB so I guess I have version 2. That would be much easier and less space of course so I'll try that. Worst case is I perf that part.

So far I have to fit the PCB, road rage, DD board and Mod boards in there  :P Something tells me this won't be pretty, but fugly and working is much better than pretty and dead  :o
John