News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Secure the pots washers without leaving marks in the varnish?

Started by add4, February 27, 2012, 11:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

Hey all ..
i scratch the varnish of my enclosures very often... do you have tips to avoid that?
i was going to try painters tape all around the nut but it's going to take a lot of time.
i'm already using a (english vocabulary missing) ratchet(?) to avoid scratching it, but i still see some scratches.

Any idea is welcome

TNblueshawk

I had used needle nose at one time which were great ....until they would slip. Right now I use a cescent wrench and I'm just EXTRA careful when I turn it to make sure the ends are not touching that enclosure.

You could make a reusable jig maybe with plastic or cardboard and just place it over the pot shaft. Or, just but knobs with big lips  ;)
John

badgerific

A socket wrench thing should do it without scratching the varnish. I've been meaning to get a set for a while now.

GermanCdn

For the jacks I use the Cruztools Jack/Pot tool, have yet to scratch an enclosure with it.  For pots, I use a socket set from Obi I picked up for three Euro.

If you use any type of wrenches or pliers, you will scratch the enclosure, because they have 90 degree corners and will slip no matteer what you try.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

TNblueshawk

I probably have 75 or more sockets and not a sinlge one fits the nut on a pot, I mean WTF? I couldn't believe it when I tried them all  ::)
John

sgmezei

I magically got one set of sockets that is long enough to do pots. Does an amazing job. I have two other sets of sockets that are not long enough.

jkokura

Do you have all imperial or all metric? It could be that your nut is of the opposite type from your sockets.

However, I have never had that kind of problem. I think my Alpha pots are all 1/4" nuts.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DutchMF

Come on guys, it's not that tough! just wrap a tissue around anything you want to tighten and take really,really good care! Just don't drink beer and try to assemble your pedal at the same time. The right tools for the right job will get it done anytime!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

CRBMoA

I have a couple of flat, cheap wrenches that came with some furniture or something I assembled for a relative.

I'll post pics later. They are perfect.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: DutchMF on February 28, 2012, 07:57:49 PM
Come on guys, it's not that tough! just wrap a tissue around anything you want to tighten and take really,really good care! Just don't drink beer and try to assemble your pedal at the same time. The right tools for the right job will get it done anytime!

Paul

Does it work better to use that tissue before or after I blow my nose?   :)
John

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

thetrend77

DutchMF

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 01, 2012, 04:49:39 PM
Does it work better to use that tissue before or after I blow my nose?   :)

LOL! Preferably after, as it lessens the friction between enclosure, nut and washer..... But still before drinking the beer, that's still reserved for examining your work with a satisfied (and stupid....) grin on your face!  ;)
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"