News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Low rider fuzz

Started by claytushaywood, March 11, 2012, 03:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I just finished a low rider... what a great pedal... best down octave I've ever heard so realistic it's incredible.  I did the mod listed on the build doc- the 'middle ground' version of increasing the upper octave.  where I took out c12 completely but instead of removing c10 I subbed a 1n for the 10n.

My upper octave is on it's way to sounding like a fuzz octave pedal.  It's fizzy....  but not just a little fizzy- it's straigh up distorted.  Not at all like described.  I think I have something else going on.

Things I did different than schematic...
Used some 1uf films in place of electrolytics- all i had
Then all I had was  a single 1uf tanatulum which I subbed for a 1uf lytic in c25.  I used ceramic caps for all but one of the pf values (where I used a silver mica). 

I didnt socket the transistors- but I have never had problems with burning those up... could this be a trimpot thing... also used some weird 1n34a diodes that I've never seen before...

Should I go back to stock or is this something else?  I really doubt this is what even removing c10 and c12 sounds like- totally distorted

nzCdog

Hey Claytushaywood...  On my one the upper octave was quite fizzy too without the C10 and C12... reminicient of a my poindexter almost!  I'm pretty sure that's the nature of the analog 'octave up' pedals in general... the up octave isn't very 'clean'.   In the end I left the stock caps in cause it smoothed out the tone of the octave up.  Your subs sound acceptable so I think you might just have to experiment till you find the best compromise :)

claytushaywood

as I said I didnt even do the mod where you remove c10 and c12 completely.  i put a 1n in c12 and removed c10 (i belive- whatever the middle ground mod is)  madbeans of the pedal sounds nothing like this.

I appreciate the input... anyone else confirm this as normal operation

claytushaywood

I have no returned the pedal to the standard layout- just a lowered volume.  there is basically a smaller amount of fuzz for the upper octave.  it really doesnt do anything near an upper octave.  more like a bad  green ringer that is muted and muffled. 

i am 99% sure this is not proper operation.  The sound in every video I've heard is much different.  I listened to demos of this a lot in the past day just to make sure I wasnt wrong. 

I had to remove my pots once and ruined some solder pads.  I feel like I patched all of the connections that may have been broken.  But maybe I missed something going to the upper octave pot?  I feel like this thread is getting response because it has been discussed previously... but this is something different- this is actually malfunctioning.  Do I need to record a sound clip?  In my case- the upper octave knob should have been named something else- there is no semblance