News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sprout Si transistors?

Started by Jcat5503, August 30, 2011, 01:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcat5503

Any suggestions?

I'm getting ready to start this build and I'm curious which ones would be the best choice..

Cheers! :D

jkokura

I would instinctually put a BC109 in there if I were to build one. Mostly because I like those in Si Fuzzes. However, since I instinctually do that, it might be neat to try something else out...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dwstanford

Bc109 would definitely be a good place to start.  I would try a few different gains to see what sounds best with your setup.  The 2n2222a, 2n3904, or bc182L would also be good choices.  The 109's and 182L's are out of production, so they will cost a little more, but they are used in lots of builds so you will definitely find a use for them somewhere.

Ettore_M

I'm going to build this pedal, too. I bought BC108, BC109 and 2n5088s. I'll try them and tell you how it goes. But I agree that the BCs would be a good choice, because I heard them on youtube in other DIY One-Knob-Fuzzes, and I really liked them...
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Jcat5503

Quote from: Ettore_M on August 30, 2011, 08:16:37 PM
I'm going to build this pedal, too. I bought BC108, BC109 and 2n5088s. I'll try them and tell you how it goes. But I agree that the BCs would be a good choice, because I heard them on youtube in other DIY One-Knob-Fuzzes, and I really liked them...
Yeah for sure let me know! Sweet, looks like I'll start with BC109's then!

claytushaywood

I just tested my sprout with a 2n3904 at Q1 and a bc109 at Q2 as recommended by the docs.  I'm not digging it too much, very sputtery and not much sustain.  are there any recommended gain ranges for this pedal?  should I  go by silicon fuzz face guidelines?  are there even any?

claytushaywood

Had a bad tranny- I'm digging 2n3904 and bc109  stated in the document- tried all sorts of combinations that included- bc108, 2n2222a,  2n5088, 2n3904, bc109.   I'm  looking for a combination that will sound better when you roll off the volume knob.  Is this doable with lower gain trannys?  luck of the draw?  or nature of the beast?

Also, it seems like a 500k linear pot my suit this pedal better... I dont know why, but all the action is at the end of the rotation  with first half pretty un- useably quiet.  I'm feeling the pedal is overall a bit quieter than expected.  anyone else have these thoughts?

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

sgmezei

claytushaywood

Man I searched "sprout" in the search box and only came up with a few topics... at least thats what I thought

Thanks!