News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GGG Phase 45 Volume Drop

Started by pryde, February 20, 2012, 04:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Hello,

I recently built a GGG phase 45 and really like they way it sounds BUT notice a volume drop when it is engaged. It is not major but I would say about 10-15% volume loss when on.

I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion to get the volume up a bit. I don't really know what to change, check, or tweak to do this. One thing I noticed is the build kit specified a 500k reverse log taper pot OR a 100k linear pot. They sent me a 100k linear in the kit. Would this cause a volume drop issue?

Thank you for any help and suggestions. Here is a link to the schematic if that helps the geniuses here!
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_p45_sc.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

jkokura

That's actually pretty common to have a volume drop.

You could try lowering R9 I think. Alternatively, raising R8 may also do it, however that will raise the gain level as well, so you might get a little 'grit' if you do it that way. Experimentation is key here.

Also, since you mentioned it, I've never seen someone mention using a B100K pot there. However, I don't think it would affect the volume in the least - that's the speed of the modulation that's been affected with that pot..

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pryde

Thanks Jacob,

What about R11. It is right before the output. Resistor is 150k, would raising this value increase the volume a bit? If so what values or increments should I try?

Thank you.

jkokura

No, I don't think R11 has anything to do with the volume drop.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pryde

Ok then, maybe a 4.7 k in R9 be a good value to try?

Edit: On another forum I read that one could add like a 500k pot to R11 and use as a volume? By doing this could I dial up a good volume using the pot, then measure the resistance of the pot, and then replace R11 with said resistance?

Would this approach work? Others seam to think that R11 is responsible for the volume of the pedal? But you say it is R8/R9? Thanks for helping me understand.

jkokura

You could try that.

The reason I suggest the other resistors is because they are a part of the final gain stage, and they would have an effect for sure.

If others have suggested it, try it though. Let us know what you find.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pryde

OK so I removed R11 and installed a 500k pot. Unfortuntely with the pot turned up full blast the volume is about the same as with the original 150k resistor. Not sure why this is?

I will try experimenting with the gain stages as you suggested (R8/R9) when I get some more sockets and let you know what happens. Thanks again for your help with this.