News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FatPants 2.0 preview

Started by madbean, September 03, 2010, 01:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Hey guys,

I've just submitted the new version of the FatPants for manufacturing today, and thought I would give you all a little preview of the changes. I've made several modifications to the design which I think take it to the next level! Attached below are the schematic and layout.

Here are the changes:
Added 'Fat' control - 10kB variable resistor in series with a 470R resistor for added gain control
Added T1 - a trimpot for making biasing changes in the transistor
Changed Q1 to J201 - not pictured in the schem, but I found that a J201 adds a little more 'bite'
Changed volume pot to 100k and output resistor to 47k. This does two things: makes the output a little hotter, and lowers the overall output impedance from the original design.
Added 17v tap on the board so you can pull the voltage off the charge pump in case you are making a dual pedal with the FatPants and want to use 17v for your other FX
Also, I'm recommending a TC1044 for the charge pump. I've had very solid results with it, and you can also use up to 12v input on it if you want to bump the voltage up even higher.

I hope to get this built up in a few days to do some demos so you guys can get an idea of what the changes sound like ~and also show off my new box labeling technique :)  !

Oh yeah---these boards will be blue!

[attachment deleted by admin]

maysink

[nothing to see here]
-e

gtr2

Cool, unfortunately I just got the old version and have yet to put it together  :'(

Guess I'll have to get the new version and I'll have two different flavors...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Quote from: gtr2 on September 03, 2010, 11:59:47 AM
Cool, unfortunately I just got the old version and have yet to put it together  :'(

You can mod the old version to this one, except for the trimpot (which is not totally necessary). I can give you some tips on it if needed.

Haberdasher

Quote from: madbean on September 03, 2010, 12:03:27 PM
Quote from: gtr2 on September 03, 2010, 11:59:47 AM

You can mod the old version to this one, except for the trimpot (which is not totally necessary). I can give you some tips on it if needed.
Yes, can you post how to mod the old one?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

The new boards will be here in a couple of days. Once I get the new documentation together, I will include steps on how to modify the previous version. It's well worth it.