News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat

Started by rlopes, January 30, 2012, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlopes

Hello.
I've just finished my first 2 projects: Mudbunny with Violet and Civil War specs and i cant't wait to start the next one which will be the Aristocrat. I would like to know if i can substitute the internal DIP switches with external DPDT switches (as in the King of Klones instructions) so i could switch between clean/overdrive/distortion without having to open the enclosure all the time.
Can i do it with both channels?
Best regards to all.

madbean

You sure can! Just make sure you use an On/On/On DPDT.

rlopes

Hello Brian. Thank's for your fast reply.
Are you 100% sure that is a DPDT (On-On-On) swith? I'm asking this because i'm still a real noob with electronics and the King Of Klones (single chanel version of the Arisocrat) instructions ask for a DPDT (On-Off-On) switch to do that mod (quoting the KoK instructions "You can use a DPDT On/Off/On in place of the internal dip switch. When wired as illustrated in the above diagram, you will get the clipping on the
two outside positions of the toggle switch, and a clean boost when the toggle is in the center position."
Please tell me what switch do i have to order.
Best regards
Ricardo

jubal81

I'm working on boxing up my KoK and I used the on-off-on and wiring diagram for it and it works great.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rlopes

So, what should i order to make this mod? A DPDT (On-Off-On) or a DPDT (On-On-On) toggle switch?

rlopes

Can anyone help me with this please?

plesur

The DIP on the board has four positions; off-off, on-off, off-on, on-on.

You can use an on-on-on or an on-off-on DPDT switch but with both of those you can only get three positions.

The on-on-on can give you: off-off, on-off, on-on OR on-off, on-on, off-on OR off-off, on-off, off-on
The on-off-on can give you: on-off, off-off, off-on

This is a bit confusing to say the least ...

This image should make it clearer:

I would think what you would want is: on-off, off-off, off-on (one diode set, no diodes, the other diode set)

To get this, using a DPDT on-on-on.
1. Check that when you have the switch in the middle, you have have continuity between the top left and middle left lugs (Type 1 in the picture).
2. Wire the middle two lugs of the switch to the bottom pair of DIP holes.
3. Wire the top right switch lug to the top right DIP hole.
4. Wire the bottom left switch lug to the top left DIP hole.

With the switch in the middle you will get no diodes. With the switch up, one diode set, with the switch down, the other.

rlopes

Thank you for your help.

madbean

Quote from: rlopes on January 31, 2012, 03:38:32 PM
Hello Brian. Thank's for your fast reply.
Are you 100% sure that is a DPDT (On-On-On) swith? I'm asking this because i'm still a real noob with electronics and the King Of Klones (single chanel version of the Arisocrat) instructions ask for a DPDT (On-Off-On) switch to do that mod (quoting the KoK instructions "You can use a DPDT On/Off/On in place of the internal dip switch. When wired as illustrated in the above diagram, you will get the clipping on the
two outside positions of the toggle switch, and a clean boost when the toggle is in the center position."
Please tell me what switch do i have to order.
Best regards
Ricardo

My bad. It's what the project doc says. The middle position is no clipping diodes. I mis-remembered what was in the document  :-[

rlopes

Thanks Brian! I cant wait to build this baby  ;D