News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

For all you LA folks.

Started by JakeFuzz, February 06, 2012, 03:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

This is the fourth time this has happened to me. Today an all original Fender 5E3 went on sale on craigslist for $100. Dude had no idea what it was. It was a little thrashed and repainted but original nonetheless. I emailed him 15 minutes after he posted and someone had emailed him just to tell him the value of his amp  >:(

Just wondering if anyone else saw this. This has happened to me three other times in exactly the same way. Orange County Fender Vibrolux and cab in mint condition $100, San Diego Fender Brownface Deluxe $100, San Diego Magnatone 440 $100. Is it impossible to snag these deals? $100 seems to be the magic number for people who don't know amps. One of thee days...

timbo_93631

A friend who was a recording engineer in the 80's in London during the Ska and New Wave heyday came out to LA in the 90's to try and break into the studio scene, but he was fairly unsuccessful and turned to fine carpentry and woodworking after awhile.  When he was living in LA he saw an old lady in his building bring a small amp out to the dumpster.  He asked her if she was really going to throw it away and she said yes so he asked for it.  Turned out to be a 5F1 that had been painted black over the tweed.  He held onto it until about 7 years ago and sold it on eBay for a heap.  LA is the place for stuff like that to happen.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

JakeFuzz

Jeez! That's crazy, silly old lady  :D  I guess my best chance is to be the first contact person. I now have a "tube amp" search on c-list saved in the bookmarks of all my browsers...

bigmufffuzzwizz

Dude that's such bad luck...One day you'll get one!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

timbo_93631

Keep an eye out on ebay too.  I got my Supro for $90 as a non working chassis and it was listed as an Ampeg of some sort.  I kept looking at it while it was up for auction thinking, "that is a Valco".  After a little research I figured out it was a Supro 1616t.  My favorite amp of all time so far.  A tele bridge pickup's best friend!  Will be keeping my fingers crossed that your "poorly-listed-and-incorrectly-identified-by-seller-dream-amp" will come your way soon!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Om_Audio

Dude, you can do RSS feed of the search and get new results instantly as they appear- you never have to check the site again. Also this is good too for nation wide searches and might be able to RSS search string here too:
http://www.allofcraigs.com/2009/08/search-all-of-craigslist.html?cx=partner-pub-9413604915893153%3Ao8xsd8d7h7s&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=fender+5f1&as_qdr=a&safe=active&sa=Search#1836

Also, even if you contact someone first they will still can find out the value before you get there. the RSS method is soo good and saves so much time. just be sure to get your search string just right before. Hope you score a cheap one though. Magic hipped me to build kits for similar amps and I am going to look into that further- his Champ build was pretty damn simple!

Quote from: JakeFuzz on February 06, 2012, 05:33:18 PM
Jeez! That's crazy, silly old lady  :D  I guess my best chance is to be the first contact person. I now have a "tube amp" search on c-list saved in the bookmarks of all my browsers...
Sent via soup cans and string.