News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Carbon comp resistors in Dirtbag deluxe

Started by marcfrom, January 27, 2012, 01:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo_93631

Quote from: madbean on January 27, 2012, 02:26:47 AM
Personally, I tend to throw one or two mojo components in most builds strictly for the fun of it.
Love my LCR meter for this reason.  Check it, solder it, rock it!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

marcfrom

It could be interesting to know wich resistors was, carbon film, metal film and above all carbon comp in DMM.
I try to find some more infos about that but with no succes.
I' really think to put a poor specs componants at the good places participate to the vintage sound.

Same for rhe caps, Mylar, PIO, etc...

If someone know sometghing about it... :)

For exemple i built a 5E3 amp with Russian PIOs coupling caps, i already tried Mallory 150 series in this amp. But with PIOs it sound more open and have more clarity, the difference is convincing.

Ang3lus

i think carbon comps on low voltage builds are nonsense.

i use metal films

why ?

let me quote geofx.com

The manufacturers also document that CC's have excess noise and bad drift with temperature and aging. That makes them a two-edged sword. Put everywhere in an amp, and they'll both sweeten the tone, and at the same time induce hiss. A little thought leads us to the following guidelines for using carbon comps for tone mojo:

1. high voltage across the resistor is necessary, in the range of 100V on up
2. large signal swings across the resistor are needed - ideally, a large fraction of the static DC voltage so you have signal swings of 50 to 100V too.
3. only positions in the amp that have both high DC voltage and wide signal swings as in 1 and 2 will give you enough resistor distortion to benefit from; other places should be chosen for low noise and/or economy.
4. resistor power rating should be the minimum needed to work for a reasonable life in the circuit to maximize resistor distortion. Maybe a good guideline is that the dissipation should be selected to be as close to two times the average dissipation as possible.
5. as a corollary to the power guideline, we should be prepared to replace CC's every few years as the life at high temp makes them drift and get noisy(-er).

marcfrom

I recently re- build two wah one with carbon comp and another with metal film, the one with carbon have a little more hiss, but i found the sound of the one with metal film less interesting.

Just one resistor is metal film, and will be changed.

gtr2

The other thing to consider is that the layout is very very tight.  Component size will be a limiting factor in your choices.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Scruffie

Quote from: marcfrom on January 27, 2012, 07:55:29 AM
It could be interesting to know wich resistors was, carbon film, metal film and above all carbon comp in DMM.
I try to find some more infos about that but with no succes.
I' really think to put a poor specs componants at the good places participate to the vintage sound.

Same for rhe caps, Mylar, PIO, etc...

If someone know sometghing about it... :)

For exemple i built a 5E3 amp with Russian PIOs coupling caps, i already tried Mallory 150 series in this amp. But with PIOs it sound more open and have more clarity, the difference is convincing.

There was no designated Carbon comp places in the original, just stick a couple in if you wanna add some noise, the design is not a quiet one anyway, even if you use all metal film it'll still hiss because it uses BBDs. Use 4558s or 1458s in the audio path if you want more noise too.

I dunno why you want more noise but there ya go.
Works at Lectric-FX