News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how do you secure the board inside the pedal?

Started by add4, January 16, 2012, 05:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

i don't see mounting holes in most of bean's projects.. how you do make sure the board won'y travel into the box to a place it is not supposed to be (against the box -> grounding for example)?
I'm curious to know the experienced guys tricks
thanks in advance

mjcyates

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

Vero

- if space is available, I like to drill for standoffs
- if not, double sided tape, or velcro like DAM stuff

PCBs

- Board mounted pots, nothing else required
- double sided tape/velcro

some PCB are also drilled for standoffs, which is nice. they feel good and solid.

jimmybjj

Almost always board mounted pots. It seems all of Brians projects are coming with them now. Devi Ever wraps (or at least did at one point her pcbs in electrical tape.) Double sided tape and velco work well as long as your gear isn't exposed to extreme temps like we sometimes get here in florida.
Pcbs no longer available

sgmezei

Double sided tape. I get squares of it from the dollar store. Works great so far and it is really inexpensive. I use electrical tape as well on some stuff.

TNblueshawk

I float it. Never had a problem with it moving but then I don't toss it around. By the time I wire up the pots ( I use as short of wires as possible), the jacks, the stomp switch and stuff it all in there it ain't moving. I use heat sink where needed and use pot condomns.

I actually bought some double sided tape and it just sits there unused. But if I had to secure one down I would use that.
John

PerS

Hi

I do this with almost all my builds. Either mount the board direct or on a "carrier"...

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=911.msg5755#msg5755

Best //Per
//Per

GermanCdn

I float it as well when there are no board mounted pots/switches (I actually prefer the board mounted switches, as it allows me to lay the pots out the way I want them, depending on the enclosure, knob size, etc).  I tape wrap all my floating boards, and heat shrink off board solder point connections, as well as using pot condoms. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm also a floater. I use double sided tape if I must, but the pots from Tayda make it really easy to float the boards and not have to worry about any shorts. Of course if your willing to spend a little $$ on things like standoffs and wire ties, it can look really professional.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals