News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Amplitube - Guitar Rig - Etc

Started by keysandguitars, January 06, 2012, 05:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

Are any of you using these types of modeling programs for home recording or just for fun? I'm looking into them as well as impulse response programs for Logic Studio and just thought I'd ask people's opinions that I can count on vs. the pissing matches found on other forums.

So far I've been impressed with amplitube 3 with IRs that I've heard on YouTube. any thoughts based on experience?
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

greyscales

I use Logic Express 9 for all of my recordings and have been really satisfied with the guitar amp modeling. They have some pretty cool rigs. Can't say how it sounds with a humbucker-equipped guitar, but it sounds mint with my Jazzmaster and Strat. The cleaner tones, especially Fender and Vox amp copies, sound really good.

Here are some links to songs that use only Logic's guitar modeling and whatnot (ignore how bad the songs actually are):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvAJVY85PU&list=UUekAKnt80Vy4Nudsixl-H_A&index=10&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTY-43ttA3E&list=UUekAKnt80Vy4Nudsixl-H_A&index=9&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qAosIe4hY&list=UUekAKnt80Vy4Nudsixl-H_A&index=7&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqdDzYBpWQ&list=UUekAKnt80Vy4Nudsixl-H_A&index=6&feature=plcp

jtn191

I've used many of the versions of Amplitube and the last two versions of Guitar Rig. The results largely depend on what kind of preamp/interface you use because of how that handles the impedance from your pickups and determines whether or not it captures an accurate representation of your guitar sound.

IMO: these programs are fun, cheap, convenient ways of practicing/recording that are sounding better all the time. And you can use it to experiment! Even the Lo settings in GR, AT3, or Logic's bundled amp designer can be good enough for recording background guitar parts with some EQ-ing/IR reverb

I've spent a lot of time using AT3 and feel comfortable with it's GUI, but NI' Guitar Rig has a very flexible routing system that is great for really out there stuff

The negatives:
-The pedals--especially high gain ones, amps too--can be noisy and aren't responsive dynamically in quite the same way ones you build here would be  :)
But it does play nicely with pedals...go guitar->Green Bean->interface/AT3 if ya think their tube screamer sucks  ;)
-After playing/listening with headphones in AT3 for a long term...it's great to go back to playing in a room with an amp. AT3 doesn't actually shake you

btw, here's a video in which I went: strat->Vox Pathfinder 15 line out (for some authentic high frequency SS sound)->Tascam FW-1804->a Fender or Vox model in Logic's Amp Designer (for a little bit of grit)

raulduke

Quote from: jtn191 on January 06, 2012, 07:23:48 AM
I've used many of the versions of Amplitube and the last two versions of Guitar Rig. The results largely depend on what kind of preamp/interface you use because of how that handles the impedance from your pickups and determines whether or not it captures an accurate representation of your guitar sound.

IMO: these programs are fun, cheap, convenient ways of practicing/recording that are sounding better all the time. And you can use it to experiment! Even the Lo settings in GR, AT3, or Logic's bundled amp designer can be good enough for recording background guitar parts with some EQ-ing/IR reverb

I've spent a lot of time using AT3 and feel comfortable with it's GUI, but NI' Guitar Rig has a very flexible routing system that is great for really out there stuff

The negatives:
-The pedals--especially high gain ones, amps too--can be noisy and aren't responsive dynamically in quite the same way ones you build here would be  :)
But it does play nicely with pedals...go guitar->Green Bean->interface/AT3 if ya think their tube screamer sucks  ;)
-After playing/listening with headphones in AT3 for a long term...it's great to go back to playing in a room with an amp. AT3 doesn't actually shake you

+1 on all the above. They usually take a lot of tweaking to sound right. These programs are cool to mess around with, but nothing beats playing through a real amp IMO.

madbean

Plugging my 89 Strat through my Konnekt 8 and using the Guitar Rig tweed models yields some good tones. I do prefer using plugins for rough demos and stuff. It's just way more convenient when tone is not critical.

keysandguitars

Thanks for posting the clips guys, they sound good, definitely good enough for my intended use. I agree that there's nothing like playing through a real amp, especially a tube amp.

I downloaded the free version of Amplitube 3 which comes with a couple clean fender models and a marshall mod. It includes basic cabs, mics, and a few effects. They have a "Custom Shop" where you can buy individual amps, cabs, mics, etc. instead of the entire $350 program. You can demo pieces of gear for two days. With some tweaking, I got things sounding pretty good.

I think I'll keep messing around with the demos and see where it takes me. Thanks for the input.

lahba

Guitar Rig is pretty powerful.  I think it can be made to sound hyper realistic.  I work as an engineer in a commercial music facility in nyc and most of the composers on staff are using a combination of Guitar Rig and the Line 6 POD.  The SansAmp plugin is great for bass and for some out guitar tones.  If you plan to use an in the box modeler like guitar rig or amplitube, you need to have a pretty decent interface.  USB isn't going to cut it.  Latency city. 

keysandguitars

Thanks lahba.

I'm running an Apogee Duet into a newer iMac. I can run it on a Mac Mini but it kills the CPU.

Today I used Amplitube 3 Free and Recab and got some pretty amazing results, far better than I expected. I need to try the demo of Guitar Rig and then decide which way I'll go.

lahba

Awesome.  I'll have to give Amplitube 3 a try if I can get my hands on a copy.  I'd be interested to hear your take on them both once you've taken Guitar Rig for a test drive.  As a side note, LOVE the Apogee stuff.  Real game changer.  The difference in quality is clearly apparent compared to some of the other A/Ds out there. 

glowsheep

I was never impressed with the high gain stuff on older versions on both Amplitube and Guitar Rig, but the cleans and low gain can sound quite nice, especially the Fender stuff on Amplitube. I recently tried Guitar Rig 5 and the high gain stuff is so much better, Really like the soldano and 5150 stuff. I like using them for late night quiet practicing and laying down songs.
I'm going to try running it with the cab sims off into the effects loop in on a tube amp and see how that sounds.

gordo

I've been using Amplitube 3 free for practicing and learning tunes.  I got the THD BiValve model and it sounds really good, and the whole setup is nice and simple.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?