News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel chip selection

Started by Bret608, January 05, 2012, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Another question before I start ordering parts for my Pork Barrel...

Does the headroom of main IC (MN3007 vs. v3207) have any effect on how well the chorus will work with overdrive? I love the overdriven chorus tones Bob Mould and Steve Albini got on some of those 80s underground recordings and am hoping to cop that general sound.

Thanks!

Bret

jkokura

The headroom only applies if you run the chip at a higher voltage. So for example, if you were running an MN3007 at 9V, there would be no difference compared with the MN3207. The headroom only becomes a factor if you were running the MN3007 at 12 or 15V, at which point you'd see a benefit. The MN3207 is designed to run at 9V.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

Ah, that makes perfect sense...I think I'll try a 3207 and see how it goes! Thanks for the clear explanation.

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on January 05, 2012, 03:39:48 PM
The headroom only applies if you run the chip at a higher voltage. So for example, if you were running an MN3007 at 9V, there would be no difference compared with the MN3207. The headroom only becomes a factor if you were running the MN3007 at 12 or 15V, at which point you'd see a benefit. The MN3207 is designed to run at 9V.

Jacob
And to expand on that two of the most popular choruses ever that did use a 3007 (Small Clone & BOSS CE-2) Both ran on 9V Batteries!

But yeah if you want less clipping with overdrive, running a 3007 at higher voltage would work better, but give a 3207 a go, you might find it fits your needs perfectly.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

Quote from: Scruffie on January 05, 2012, 04:44:13 PM

Jacob
And to expand on that two of the most popular choruses ever that did use a 3007 (Small Clone & BOSS CE-2) Both ran on 9V Batteries!

But yeah if you want less clipping with overdrive, running a 3007 at higher voltage would work better, but give a 3207 a go, you might find it fits your needs perfectly.

Actually, the CE-2 used a 12V power source for best practice (the ACA adapter). It could run on 9V, yes, but it is meant to be run on a higher voltage source.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on January 05, 2012, 05:02:05 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on January 05, 2012, 04:44:13 PM

Jacob

Actually, the CE-2 used a 12V power source for best practice (the ACA adapter). It could run on 9V, yes, but it is meant to be run on a higher voltage source.

Jacob
It had a 12V Power Supply, but I beleive you'll find inside it was regulated down by a 9V Zener only connected when the battery wasn't in use.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

That's true Scruff! I had forgotten about that. I'm just used to using my CE-3 that I modded to run off a higher supply!

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Bret608

Wow! I feel I am getting a full-on chorus tutorial here! I will be sure to think this through carefully before I order the chips. I will likely still go with the v3207, but it sounds like the MN3007 would pair nicely with a well-regulated 12v power supply, even if some of the classics went with 9v.

Scruffie

Quote from: Bret608 on January 05, 2012, 06:27:28 PM
Wow! I feel I am getting a full-on chorus tutorial here! I will be sure to think this through carefully before I order the chips. I will likely still go with the v3207, but it sounds like the MN3007 would pair nicely with a well-regulated 12v power supply, even if some of the classics went with 9v.
A BBD will more likely be affected by how strong your Pickups are regarding it distorting, if you're using Actives or perhaps a bass or just have high output Singles/Hums or whatever than yeah a 12V (or 9V Supply with RoadRage Board to regulate it to 15V, the max voltage of a BBD) and 3007 would be best.

But for your general playing i'd go with the v3207 yeah, it's cheaper, still in production, easy to source, you wont get a fake chip.

But any BBD based effect will clip and distort even the higher voltage ones, it's just the nature of the technology, it can be improved further with Companding but as far as i'm aware, there are no DIY Choruses (and few production ones) that use the technology.

Either way good luck!
Works at Lectric-FX

Bret608

Ah, that makes sense about the high-output pickups. I play a Japanese Fender Mustang, which has really pretty low output pickups, so I doubt I will have any difficulty either way. I way swap them out for some slightly higher output Fralins at some point, but probably nothing more than about 7k. I'm not a huge fan of high output pickups in general.

Thanks for the good wishes! I will certainly post a build report.

nzCdog

Don't really have much to add other than... I built the Pork Barrel stock with the 3007... at 9V its sounded awesome, tried it on 12V... sounded lame. 

LaceSensor

Quote from: nzCdog on January 05, 2012, 11:27:32 PM
Don't really have much to add other than... I built the Pork Barrel stock with the 3007... at 9V its sounded awesome, tried it on 12V... sounded lame. 

Did you rebias the bbd?