News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Sunn O))) products are launching soon?

Started by lars, July 18, 2023, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwin615

Beta lead is now class D.  >:(
So it's a pedal into a fender rumble...
I know the clipping and tone stack are 90% of the sound of that amp but flipping the amp topologies and tubes around just screams limited R&D rebadge.
"Ok, Greg will work Tuesdays and every other Thursday for the next 3 months to relaunch SUNN."

Aleph Null

Quote from: jwin615 on August 02, 2023, 02:09:48 AM
Beta lead is now class D.  >:(
So it's a pedal into a fender rumble...
I know the clipping and tone stack are 90% of the sound of that amp but flipping the amp topologies and tubes around just screams limited R&D rebadge.
"Ok, Greg will work Tuesdays and every other Thursday for the next 3 months to relaunch SUNN."

I don't know what the power section of the originals was like, but class D is probably an improvement. Should be more efficient and lighter weight. That said, it's probably more cost effective to build an AionFX PCB (or someone else's) and run it through your Fender rumble.

lars

I'm not sure, but I believe the Sunn Beta amps were always Class D mosfet-based. In fact, I think they were the very first MOSFET guitar amps. One thing for sure, the Beta's were completely solid state. There were never any tubes in them.
The main thing that I still find surprising is there is no hype about this relaunch. If this were a boutique tubescreamer done by some obscure builder in an unknown country, Reverb would be all over it and there would already be 40 demo videos on YouTube with sold-out limited colorway editions. Sunn coming back so far has been as exciting as a new dentist's office opening downtown.

jwin615

Looking at the FAQ, this isn't fender but instead someone who licensed the rights from fender.
And yes, while betas may have been class D(I'm not sure) technically, the huge power transistors used then vs the ice modules and the ilk of today are going to have a different sound.
Supposedly they're planning a limited run of Model Ts as well...
And maybe some digital offerings, be that plugins or modeling planned?
The bottom half of the FAQ is intriguing none the less.

WonkoTheSane

All the class D stuff is those dumb modules that die and will cease production inside 4 years and then the amps will be landfill.

They were originally push/pull discreet designs. Those parts also are no longer available, but there are subs for them.

Correct that most of it is the pre-amp.

The Beta Bass is very popular with many doom bands too. It has legendary status in certain circles.

I'd rather have a Coliseum 880 for the transistor or the Model T or Solaris for the tube stuff. The 100S and 200S are not exactly classic sought after amps and basically just a single 12AX7 preamp and tone stack tacked onto a Dynaco phase inverter and power amp from their ST-70 hi fi amp. Even then they should have gone with the 2000S for the 60's stuff.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

imjonwain

Are people in general not a fan of those ICE power amp + supply modules? I haven't heard much about them failing but  I haven't dug too deep.  They seem like a nice solution to me for a poweramp?
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

Strategy

I can't believe I haven't heard/read about this - I wonder if I'm not the target audience or the PR campaign is not off the ground yet or something.

I live in Portland, OR and several generations of Sunn gear were made around here. It's always sort of been part of the scenery and local lore. Its hard for me to look at the prices on thi8s website because other than the handful of extremely sought after items that are universally expensive, Sunn gear shows up very inexpensively on Portland Craigslist, even moreso if you don't mind some dings and restoration. During the pandemic I put together a Sunn folded horn cab bass rig that I'm restoring, and also a Sunn PA system gotten for $125 (came in as a donation to the place where my kid works, and they outgrew it). Its honestly a bit frivolous in my studio to have a bass cabinet the size of a washer/dryer, so a little bit midlife crisis projects or just basking in the Oregon heavy rock energy of it or something.

I do think new generations might latch onto this stuff for the prevalence of Sunn gear in heavy and doom bands (including but  not limited to Sunn0))) but price would be a barrier for

- Strategy