Univibe Power Supply with Road Rage Charge Boost 9 volts --> 18 volts

Started by franblanc, June 18, 2023, 01:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franblanc

I have constructed a Univibe clone using the attached schematic which uses a recommended 24 volts DC. The design seems to be a forumvibe but which version I am not sure. Some of the caps are rated at 25 volts so this seems a small margin of error. I want to use a Road Rage charge pump to boost my pedal board voltage from 9 volts to 18. The Road Rage 2019 uses an LT1054CP charge booster to amplify the 9 volts into a higher rating with no audible whine noise.
I have constructed the Road Rage and it works, I have 16.8 volts running into the Univibe. Now the Univibe lamp works, it pulses and the rate of pulse is successfully controlled by the speed knob. The intensity of the bulb is successfully controlled by the intensity knob and the volume works too. I know this because the guitar is audible on bypass and I also hear guitar when the Univibe effect is switched on at the footswitch however there is no Univibe swirling or whooshing effect.

I think I am close to a successful project. I suspect if I remove some of the 50 resistors I might achieve enough power to make it work. The question is which ones? I know that the Forumvibe design has worked with the road rage charge pump before, although the details are not clear to me. The LT1054CP has a max rating of 100 milliamps and I suspect this is where my problem lies as most of the Forum Vibe designs pull 150 milliamps. I have seem Univibe pedals from Jam or Rockett that use 9 volts so it should be possible. I am guessing how to proceed. Any assistance would be gratefully received.