News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking diodes: low forward voltage best?

Started by Bucksears, January 16, 2012, 04:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

I know everyone's ears are different and should go with what sounds best vs what is 'correct' on paper, but is it a general consensus that lower-forward-voltage diodes sound best in the Sunking? (be it BAT41, 1N270, 1N34a, etc?)

Thinking about building a Sunking while waiting for the new Klon pedal to be released/reviewed. I've liked the clips I've heard of the Klon and has my curiosity piqued.

Thanks,
Buck

jkokura

I like Germanium diodes best for most overdrive personally. I've tried a lot of different types. I think LEDs can sound great, but often when used in high gain situations they sound too artificial to me. I think the benefit of Ge diodes is that they often clip in a very natural sort of way to me.

I never measure forward voltage, I use my ears.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jtn191

I have sockets in my first sunking and recorded samples/did a shootout
with my strat going into a blues jr, I liked Bat41s the most...they sounded the most natural--ymmv

The LED position on my newest build sounds a bit more aggressive/Rat-like (and it lights up!!!) but has a quicker decay

be sure to socket/try out the 8n2 cap for C15 as well, I've yet to do a comparison but I'm happy with the results. probably a little beefier and slightly less "pedal-like"

Effectsiation

I've heard good things about using LM313H's, I have a pair but havent tried them in my sunking yet.