News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Degenerator - MBP

Started by jessenator, February 27, 2023, 06:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

When I saw Brian debuting new PT2399 offerings, my interest was piqued. I have a Zero Point SDX my friend Neil built for me ages ago. I love it, but it loves to break loose even without a SLAM :) I'm sort of getting the hang of the "dwell" function, though whenever I get a demo of it recorded, I'm curious if my LM386L is doing what it should. I mean, on paper it has the same specs as the -3 version...

Regardless, I like this delay a lot! I love that I can really get that endless texture and dial it in with both mix and tone controls to right where I want it. I feel like homebrewtj and I were on the same page as far as concepts go, so hope they don't mind if I share the whole deconstruction / pixelation theme.

I overshot the switch wire lengths, so they're a bit smooshed on this one  : /  Also, can you say "reused switch?"  : P ...rosin residue...ugh

I was struggling to find a single-source for the knurled (built-in-knob-kinda) 9mm pots, so though it doesn't show, the tone knob is actually has a 90˚ stop, which is serendipitously fitting for a tone knob, imo. They're also the taller versions than the ones spec'd in the build documentation, but I don't mind them.

I finally got to use the 1/4W, shorter package resistors from a long-ago Mouser order. I had no idea they came in that package, and when they first arrived I was very confused, since, like with many part descriptions, there wasn't an accurate photo  : P  but they were 1/4W and was glad to have them here ...just in case. IDK, one of those things...

When I had it in the PLA enclosure for build and testing, I was getting this weird thing where the repeat would sort of reset itself, or just stop repeating altogether, and I wondered if I had yet another failed PT2399 (had one in a Magdelay Bay for a friend go wrong). Turns out I had a cold joint on one of the legs. Don't remember the last time that happened, but got it sorted.

Fun fact: the typeface is the same one used on the classic Macintosh FPS series Marathon

I struggled with balancing the control naming and the graphic, but here were are. maybe it would've been better to omit the extra text.

Thanks for looking.

jimilee

Very well executed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

This looks excellent, I'm really digging it. And you nailed it on the photo quality too. Cool build

Bio77

Excellent build, congrats! 

jessenator

Quote from: jimilee on February 27, 2023, 07:33:07 PM
Very well executed!
Thanks, Jimi!

Quote from: dan.schumaker on February 27, 2023, 08:03:09 PM
Enclosure looks pro, man!  Great job!
Those are very kind words, Dan. Thank you.

Quote from: harryklippton on February 27, 2023, 09:23:35 PM
This looks excellent, I'm really digging it. And you nailed it on the photo quality too. Cool build
Thank you, Will; I think I've about got my light box to a good place ;D It's really a beast to get rid of that "badger lighting" effect unless you've got an omni box like the one that Chris has going.

Quote from: Bio77 on February 27, 2023, 09:41:10 PM
Excellent build, congrats!
Thanks, dude!

gordo

Graphics are just breathtaking.  Holy crap that's gorgeous.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jessenator

Quote from: gordo on February 28, 2023, 02:04:26 AM
Graphics are just breathtaking.  Holy crap that's gorgeous.
Yer makin me blush, Gordo, I'm married! :P

WonkoTheSane

That looks absolutely sick!!!

Awesome work.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

Thewintersoldier

Great job, another slick build. You've really stepped it up and shows you've put it the work and effort.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on March 01, 2023, 03:31:01 AM
Great job, another slick build. You've really stepped it up and shows you've put it the work and effort.

That means a lot, Chris, thank you. I've learned from the best!

dawson

That print.. Those photos.. Very very nice!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jessenator

Quote from: dawson on March 02, 2023, 02:00:04 AM
That print.. Those photos.. Very very nice!

Thank you, kind sir!