News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

components ID'd as something else?

Started by jessenator, February 18, 2023, 10:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Has anyone found a rhyme or reason for a component tester identifying a device as something it isn't?

I was going through some new NPNs and occasionally it will ID it as a thyristor. No matter what pin config I use in the test, it comes back as a thyristor. Does that suggest that the part in question is in some ways faulty, and would not be good to use in a circuit?

edit:
e.g. I have both 3904 and MPS6512 NPNs showing as Thyristors. Small number, but curious about it all the same.

jwin615

It could be faulty as thyristors are of NPNP construct, but I've also had issue with mis-ID when I seated them in the clamps poorly and a leg got between the sidewall and clamping mechanism.

Edit: just making sure you went through the calibration procedure for the new meter...
Short all 3 and long press iirc.

jessenator

Quote from: jwin615 on February 19, 2023, 12:09:45 AM
It could be faulty as thyristors are of NPNP construct, but I've also had issue with mis-ID when I seated them in the clamps poorly and a leg got between the sidewall and clamping mechanism.

Edit: just making sure you went through the calibration procedure for the new meter...
Short all 3 and long press iirc.

Yeah, that's what got me thinking about it—being EE-lite, I looked up thyristor to see.\

I tried every bit in the ZIF clamp with the legs, and then moved on to the probes, mixing them around, seeing if it would change. Nope :/ 

I did run through the self-test (and then did it again once I ran into these NPNs), but nope. oh well. it was only a total of 6, but still that's 6 more i'd like in the collection  :P