News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Builds

Started by redkurn, March 01, 2021, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

I'm getting ready to build a triumvirate, I noticed the audio jacks aren't on the top with the screen Jack like other builds.

Is there enough room to squeeze them in or is it too cramped?
I'm using the 125B and have thought to keep it a future option to include the battery hardware, but if shifting everything lower works to make room I'd skip the battery.

Using my 3D printed 125B as a temporary box, haven't drilled it yet, but used my punch to push the dimples into the plastic.

redkurn

Also noticing there are no diagrams for this as far as R11, C1 etc. listed and I am told not to follow the printed version?
A picture is worth a thousand words, figured it out from the schematic and the bands on Brians resistors.  ;D
Another issue I am having is the bass and mid knob align fine from the drill guide, but the treble pot legs are like a good 1/4" from the though holes, I'm sure bending all the legs will assist in getting it in and aligned.

On the SB_V3 where it says REG it is marked for two transistors, where do I put the LM78L05?
"LP29501, LM78L05 can be used"
This build is getting confusing.

Figured it out, Tayda referred me to the wrong part (SMD), looks like I am reordering that and maybe the inductor, Learning pretty quick part number means nothing if you don't pay attention if it is through hole or smd. :facepalm:

Apparently I've also ordered the wrong 1mH from tayda and it does not have the same specs, is shaped like a cap, but will fit on the switch side and as it was my first order and I had less knowledge then...  ???
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/1mh-power-inductor-10-200-ma-radial.html

Bio77

I don't think Tayda has the inductors you need.  You might have to get them from Mouser.  I'd order extras, it's the same one you'll use on all the VFE builds, same with the relay and the J175.  There should be some links in the switching board build doc. 

Not sure what's going on with the pots.  They are two up and one facing down, do you have them like that?

VFE builds are tricky.  There not as straight forward as MBs stuff.  I recommend reading the build docs carefully. There's usually some surprise, e.g., a part sub from what's on the PCB.  Also the switching board has parts you don't need for every project, so, you have to figure out what you need each time and then you'll still order the wrong zener   (well that's what I do, anyway ;D).

redkurn

Quote from: Bio77 on March 02, 2021, 09:29:38 AM
I don't think Tayda has the inductors you need.  You might have to get them from Mouser.  I'd order extras, it's the same one you'll use on all the VFE builds, same with the relay and the J175.  There should be some links in the switching board build doc. 

Not sure what's going on with the pots.  They are two up and one facing down, do you have them like that?

VFE builds are tricky.  There not as straight forward as MBs stuff.  I recommend reading the build docs carefully. There's usually some surprise, e.g., a part sub from what's on the PCB.  Also the switching board has parts you don't need for every project, so, you have to figure out what you need each time and then you'll still order the wrong zener   (well that's what I do, anyway ;D).

All of my other parts were correct, but I think you're correct I'll have to re-order those parts and extras.
I have them in the correct orientation, broke a pot and will have to make the holes larger and try again.

I got everything together once I realized how to follow the guide.

madbean

I would not recommend trying to fit top mounted jacks, even with a 125B. There's just not enough room with the PCB height and components. You'll just ruin the enclosure.

Peter's newer designs (VofE) seem to be all top mounted, though. Personally, I think it's the way to go. There's nothing quite as slick as a pedal board with all enclosures top mounted and packed together!

jjjimi84

Quote from: madbean on March 03, 2021, 01:26:59 AM
I would not recommend trying to fit top mounted jacks, even with a 125B. There's just not enough room with the PCB height and components. You'll just ruin the enclosure.

Peter's newer designs (VofE) seem to be all top mounted, though. Personally, I think it's the way to go. There's nothing quite as slick as a pedal board with all enclosures top mounted and packed together!

I agree with Brian, for the original series i would stick to side mounted jacks. Even if you use a 125b (which nice for the extra room) it would not be enough.

I also agree with Brian on the top mounted jacks, the new VofE sps system is really great and having built the yodeler and bought the choral reef I can attest to how much more convenient and cleaner sounding it is.

My original yodeler has a little bit of a higher noise floor and the new sps is quiet and really great sounding. I am hoping to finish painting it to show it off!

redkurn

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 03, 2021, 02:54:56 PM
I agree with Brian, for the original series i would stick to side mounted jacks. Even if you use a 125b (which nice for the extra room) it would not be enough.

I also agree with Brian on the top mounted jacks, the new VofE sps system is really great and having built the yodeler and bought the choral reef I can attest to how much more convenient and cleaner sounding it is.

My original yodeler has a little bit of a higher noise floor and the new sps is quiet and really great sounding. I am hoping to finish painting it to show it off!

Quote from: madbean on March 03, 2021, 01:26:59 AM

I do enjoy the top mounted jacks, I have a 3 now with side mounted and they don't align with each other enough to use the straight coupler 1/4" plugs I bought previously so they sit in a drawer until I find a use.
My small clone definitely made me think about how much better it was having top mounts.

redkurn

The pots I got weren't the exact same as Brian had listed, small bear had a second set that were the newer version, didn't mention any difference in the pot that should be causing this issue.

Maybe going to have to be careful when I box it in it's final home, I don't think it can flex enough unless I put electrical tape under the pots and hope they don't snap off like the one that's missing did.

felipesareas

Have anyone tried succesfully Tayda's 1mH inductor for VFE switching boards?

In Brazil it's almost impossible to get stuff from mouser... Customs here suck so bad

redkurn

I have one sitting in my parts box still, I wouldn't use it since it isn't the same.

Quote from: felipesareas on February 11, 2023, 04:50:26 AM
Have anyone tried succesfully Tayda's 1mH inductor for VFE switching boards?

In Brazil it's almost impossible to get stuff from mouser... Customs here suck so bad