News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1882 Bucket Brigade (Aquaboy Deluxe)

Started by blackhatboojum, January 06, 2023, 01:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhatboojum

You ever build a pedal with certain expectations, and then discover that it doesn't live up?  Well, that's what happened to me with this build.  Because of this, I've been back and forth on whether to even post a build report about it because I was so disappointed.  Now that my grieving period is over, I should at least talk about this circuit a little bit because, it did turn into a cool looking build after all and, someone may find what I have to say useful.

I want to start by saying that my disappointment has nothing to do with the pcb, the build documentation, or anything of the like.  I'm just not a fan of how this pedal sounds through my rig.  I've mentioned this before but, just as a reminder, I run all of my effects into the front of a Ceriatone 2202.  Which is essentially a 20 watt Marshall JCM 800 clone.  The Boss DM-2 as you all probably know, is known for its percussive repeats.  To my ears... that type of repeat just doesn't play well in front of high gain.  People seem to love the DM-2 and probably for good reason but for me, I'm not a fan.

What i do love about this pedal is how it looks.  Keeping with my Arizona history theme, I called it the 1882 Bucket Brigade in honor of the rich history that is the Tucson Fire Department.  Established in June of 1881, TFD started out as the Tucson Fire Association.  22 Tucsonians, 22 rubber buckets, 6 axes, 6 picks, and 9 shovels is all that was keeping the yet incorporated town of Tucson from being devastated by fire.  This rag tag group of people would later call themselves the Tucson Hook and Ladder Company.  This would not last however.  Thanks to lack of funds and volunteers, the Tucson H & L was all but disbanded.  It wasn't until May 24 1882, that a fire broke out at the Goldschmidt's Furniture Store.  An estimated $40,000 of damage would result from this fire.  Back in the late 1800's, this was a whole hell of a lot of money.  It was then that the townsfolk of Tucson realized that a proper fire brigade and equipment were needed.  Almost a year to the date of Tucson Hook and Ladder Co was established, the Tucson Volunteer Fire Association was formed on June 4 1882.  It was from this point forward, that funds and resources were allocated to maintain a proper fire service in the town of Tucson.  Two hose carts were purchased in 1883 and a hook and ladder wagon, like you see in my pedal graphic, would arrive in December of 1886.  As the city grew, so did the fire department.  Eventually becoming what TFD is today.  22 stations, with the best modern equipment, and protecting 550,000 citizens.

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

jimilee

Hey hey, great report. Kudos for boxing it anyway, I stopped doing that with pedals that disappoint, and there have been quite a few. Also, I'm gonna need references and in text citations for this book report.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

We've all been there dude. Not everything is gonna slay thru your rig and the only way to know is to build it. Still looks sick, and a great story to boot!
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

Beautiful build though! I know what you mean; not being wild about too percussive of a repeat is why I've been on the fence about building a delay...

blackhatboojum

Quote from: jimilee on January 06, 2023, 01:46:57 AM
Hey hey, great report. Kudos for boxing it anyway, I stopped doing that with pedals that disappoint, and there have been quite a few. Also, I'm gonna need references and in text citations for this book report.

Thanks!  All references can be found here lol.  http://www.tucsonfirefoundation.com/tfd-archive-down/articles-histories-more/

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on January 06, 2023, 02:44:48 AM
We've all been there dude. Not everything is gonna slay thru your rig and the only way to know is to build it. Still looks sick, and a great story to boot!

Thanks Chris!  You're absolutely right.  They can't all be zingers and I learned a few things along the way.

Quote from: Bret608 on January 06, 2023, 01:41:26 PM
Beautiful build though! I know what you mean; not being wild about too percussive of a repeat is why I've been on the fence about building a delay...

Many thanks!  The Man O' War doesn't have that annoying percussiveness, if you're interested in building an analog delay.  It's been my bread and butter and absolute favorite delay build thus far.  I love it so much that I just ordered another pcb.  Oops... spoiler alert.  Another Man O War build report in the future, packed with more Arizona history.

Bio77

Sweet build and report!  Always a treat 8)

After first reading I thought maybe delays weren't your jam, but seeing that you like the Man-o-war..... I'm wondering if re-doing the calibration might be helpful??  I was demoing two Aquaboys recently (the deluxe and the original with the extra mod board) and I was surprised that they sounded very different.  I figured it was the set up, I'm planning to redo my older one.   

Bret608

Ah, that's interesting! Sensitive things, aren't they?

Bio77

Quote from: Bret608 on January 06, 2023, 08:05:44 PM
Ah, that's interesting! Sensitive things, aren't they?
Not sure, but I'm still planning a relook.  I just looked at pics and I only have one 3005 in the old AQB, no expansion board, that could explain it too.

blackhatboojum

Quote from: Bio77 on January 06, 2023, 07:45:37 PM
Sweet build and report!  Always a treat 8)

After first reading I thought maybe delays weren't your jam, but seeing that you like the Man-o-war..... I'm wondering if re-doing the calibration might be helpful??  I was demoing two Aquaboys recently (the deluxe and the original with the extra mod board) and I was surprised that they sounded very different.  I figured it was the set up, I'm planning to redo my older one.

Thanks John!  I found that it sounds pretty good through the clean channel of my little Marshall 15w solid state amp.  It's not a bad sound in front of high gain, it's just not as natural sounding as say... my Man O War.  That delay has a hello... hello... hello kind of repeat and the DM-2 is more of a HE-llo... HE-llo... HE-llo, if that makes sense.

gordo

Great build and another great backstory.  Always enjoy your write-ups.

I've just never been a fan of ANY delay in front of a dirty amp but I get what you mean about the ABD.  I don't really pretend to know the ins and outs of analog delays but is the percussive nature due to the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis circuitry on these beasts?  I've been running all time based effects in the effects loop of my amp and it's opened up a ton of respect for analogs and reverbs.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blackhatboojum

Quote from: gordo on January 07, 2023, 06:45:41 PM

I've just never been a fan of ANY delay in front of a dirty amp but I get what you mean about the ABD.  I don't really pretend to know the ins and outs of analog delays but is the percussive nature due to the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis circuitry on these beasts?  I've been running all time based effects in the effects loop of my amp and it's opened up a ton of respect for analogs and reverbs.

Thanks Gordo!  I wish I could answer that question but, I don't know all of the ins and outs either. 

Paradox916

Yeah buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: gordo on January 07, 2023, 06:45:41 PM

I think Brian addressed this in the build doc, where he talks about the voltage around the compander and the way he has the deluxe version setup it's let's percussive than the standard version but I think the nature of the DM-2 is that percussiveness. When the Man o war deluxe is back in stock I'm gonna build one and plan to do a comparison video between the Aqbdlx, ManoWar deluxe and the Total Recall. Maybe Clinton could add an effects loop to his amp lol, jk bud!
Who the hell is Bucky?