News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Molex Connectors

Started by skypn, December 08, 2022, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

Does anyone here have experience with Molex? My pedal designs consist of a main board, and a 3PDT daughter board. I often find that to troubleshoot I need to remove one board from another. I thought Molex would be a solution to avoid de-soldering wires. I want to make my own custom lengths. I've been researching, and the problem I keep running into is how do I know for sure that the end I crimp on my wires will mate with the socket I solder to my boards.
I need 4 connectors, and the socket that gets soldered on the the boards has to be at 90*, for height.
TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

Haberdasher

I messed around with some molex years ago. I'll attach a pic of what it looked like. I think I had to bend the prongs out a little bit to match up to the holes of that daughter board, which probably used a standard 2.54 pitch. It wasn't by a lot, though. There are a lot of different types of molex out there, I'm not sure this is what you're thinking of.

Correction: the pitch of the molex is 2.54, so the spacing of the pads on that pcb must have been a little bigger.
If you want to make your own as shown in my post, go to tayda and search for
A-817
A-828
A-837
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Aentons

I use JST PH 2.0mm type connectors. These smaller ones have less than the standard 2.54mm pitch so they are only good for up to 3-4 positions. More than that and you have to move up to the larger XH type that has 2.54mm pitch.

I put some info and part links in this build report:

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33372.0

You can get the board mounted part in right angle style too.

I use the IWISS IWS-2820M crimper

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimping-AWG28-20-Terminals-Connectors/dp/B078WNZ9FW/ref=asc_df_B078WNZ9FW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309811990469&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1008869736207244721&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012934&hvtargid=pla-527283798174&psc=1

It take a little practice but works well once you figure it out

pickdropper

We've always used Hirose connectors for Function F(X).  I've always liked the size and quality of them.  Supply chain was brutal during Covid, but it seems to be better now.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

skypn

Thx for all the help guys,
Jimlee, those are exactly what I'm looking for. Spacing wont be a problem as I make my own boards

Haberdasher

Quote from: skypn on December 09, 2022, 01:33:37 PM
Jimlee, those are exactly what I'm looking for. Spacing wont be a problem as I make my own boards
Cool.  I'm not jimilee though, lol.  He just modeled his avatar after mine. :p

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

jimilee

Quote from: Haberdasher on December 09, 2022, 05:45:17 PM
I had to read through the thread a couple of times. I didn't remember posting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

Quote from: jimilee on December 09, 2022, 06:41:16 PM
Quote from: Haberdasher on December 09, 2022, 05:45:17 PM
I had to read through the thread a couple of times. I didn't remember posting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahaha, I thought that was pretty funny.

I like Aentons' idea too.  I might start using that on the i/o/dc jacks for certain prototypes. Seems like that could simplify my life.
And I'm going to check out Hirose when I get some time.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

skypn

I just got home from work, and planned the first thing I needed to do was apologize for the confusion. With similar avatars, and the fact that jimilee so often has a solution for me...
Gentlemen, I am sorry.

Haberdasher

I'm just glad I had info that could help someone, so no apology is necessary IMHO.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

jimilee

Quote from: Haberdasher on December 10, 2022, 03:26:01 AM
I'm just glad I had info that could help someone, so no apology is necessary IMHO.

I'm honored to be group in with Keefe, no apology necessary.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.