News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ego driver won't run 12v??

Started by 9Lives, December 13, 2011, 03:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

I finished my ego and I'm very pleased.. Although my lm4562ha didn't work :( but it still sounds pretty good. I wish I could get a little more gain out of it. I used the 500k pot. Also it won't run 12v? The wallwort I have is apiece of  crap though. Could that be the reason? It's the one from wally world that you  can select up to 12v.. Pretty cheap. Anywho. I've got a road rage on the way.

jkokura

It should run on 12V it all your componants are rated for 12V. Double check that your IC can handle it and you should be good to go.

One thing you should do is verify that your power supply is in fact giving you the correct voltage. Use your multimeter and see what your voltage is.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dwstanford

Yeah, those wall warts may not be regulated, so there's no telling what voltage youre actually getting.  Test the voltage as jacob suggested and see what youre getting.  The road rage or a regulated supply is going to be a better way to go i think.

DutchMF

Hey 9Lives,

I'm gonna start building an Egodriver next week, can bother you for some hints?

Thanx, Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

9Lives

sure, well.. I'm pretty amateur but I do think mine came out well. I'd say if you really wanted to make a freak nasty ocd, build it with the road rage at 18v it will be a challenge but will worth it. I wish I wouldve. Also I used the blue water clear LEDS in the clipping section and I used tantalum caps. Right now I have the TL082 IC chip but I want to try the NE355 or whatever it is and TL072. I used the 3PDT PCB to make the wireing neat. (nice touch) if I could do it I would test the mosfet before installing just bc I think the 2n7000 might be leading to a muffled sound (on SOME amps. It needs a bright slightly dirty channel to really shine) I also used some silver mica caps where I could. I think it was 220pF. I really just tried to go over the top with different parts and it came out really well. I would like to try the IRF520's mosfet as clippers bc I love those in every pedal I build.. Anyway I just spewed out everything I did on this pedal and I'm happy with it. Once again if it sounds a little muffled don't freak. Just play with your amp and see what you can do. Some amps I can only use OCD on wide oped treble and other amps I have to turn it down. It also makes for a better overdrive then distortion IMO, some might argue. Just make sure you take advantage of the clipping mod brian made on this board. Easy and well worth it.. Hope that helps lol