News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Luna Obscura (Dark Side of the Moon Pedal)

Started by dan.schumaker, January 03, 2023, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here is the last build of 2022 for me.  This is a continuation of my artist-pedalboard-in-a-box series.  This time I put together a build based on David Gilmour's Dark Side of the Moon pedals. 

For the majority of Dark Side tones, Gilmour used a combination of Fuzz Face, Overdriver, Uni-vibe and Echorec (along with a few more, but those are the bulk of tones).  The pedal starts with a modified Silicon Fuzz Face (I used the Lunar Module as a base for the Fuzz).  This moves into a Powerbooster circuit ran at +18V.  Then it hits an effects loop if you want to add other pedals and then onto a Uni-Vibe circuit.  This is the same Uni-Vibe I used on my Gypsy (https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=34170.msg327607#msg327607) pedal.  It sounds really good and vibe-y and the addition of being able to use an expression pedal really adds to its versatility.  The Delay portion on this is a multi-head PT2399 delay I've been working on based on the Binson Echorec.  Its taken a lot of inspiration from the Skidmark Sonomatic and DiabloChris's Sagan Delay.  It has basic controls for Mix, Swell (Feedback) and Delay time, with 4 switches to select what heads are active.  Unlike the Echorec with a max delay around 310-340ms, this goes up to about 800ms. Each head compounds into the other, so the ratio's of all delay heads are the same as a true Echorec.  When you have multiple heads active, it creates a really cool sounding effect, something you don't hear anywhere else.

All in all, this is a really cool pedal.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, and even if you aren't looking for Dark side tones, I think that it would be a very versatile grab-and-go pedal that would work in plenty of situations.

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

jessenator

jjjimi84

Bio77

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Bio77 on January 04, 2023, 03:46:59 PM
Was wondering, what is the vactrol for? 

The Vactrol is to convert the normal Dual Gang Speed pot to a Single Gang speed pot (which then can be wired to an expression pedal).  I took the idea from Brian's Harbinger 2 and RG Keen's UVICS (Univibe in a Crybaby Shell) document.

Bio77

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.  Killer build, dude 8)