News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Talk to me about DIs

Started by midwayfair, July 18, 2022, 10:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I need to build (or possibly buy) some DIs.

I will have access to phantom power for a couple of them, but I might need to resort to passive transformer for a couple.

Anyone have any suggestions? Projects, common transformers to use, or if this is a better-to-buy situation? I was trying to figure out if a transformerless solution like just using a Schoeps microphone circuit (with like 1M input impedance instead of 1G) would be good for this.

Aleph Null

I looked into this a few years ago and found that the cost of a good transformer was most of the cost of a good passive DI; that is to say, it'll probably cost just as much to build one as to buy one, but you won't have the benefit of any kind of warranty should you need it. An active box may be a different proposition. THCustom has an active DI project that might be worth looking into.

midwayfair

Quote from: Aleph Null on July 19, 2022, 04:40:58 PM
I looked into this a few years ago and found that the cost of a good transformer was most of the cost of a good passive DI; that is to say, it'll probably cost just as much to build one as to buy one

I suspected this might be the case with anything involving iron.

Is Thomas's project you mentioned the balanced line driver? https://diy.thcustom.com/shop/balanced-line-driver-v1-0/
Or something else?

I'd need to figure out if that can run on Phantom Power instead.

jkokura

The Radial DIs I own and use are perhaps some of the most durable devices I've ever used. Rock solid, dependable, and as far as I can tell they are industry standard for sounding good. I have both the passive and active types.

I've thought about building some, but the cost of a used Radial DI just makes it make little sense.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Quote from: jkokura on July 19, 2022, 04:54:28 PM
The Radial DIs I own and use are perhaps some of the most durable devices I've ever used. Rock solid, dependable, and as far as I can tell they are industry standard for sounding good. I have both the passive and active types.

I've thought about building some, but the cost of a used Radial DI just makes it make little sense.

Jacob

My concern with these is that the input impedance is only 220K. I have some passive instruments (mandolin and an acoustic) that still have passive pickups.

jkokura

Quote from: midwayfair on July 19, 2022, 05:49:58 PM
Quote from: jkokura on July 19, 2022, 04:54:28 PM

Jacob

My concern with these is that the input impedance is only 220K. I have some passive instruments (mandolin and an acoustic) that still have passive pickups.

That's fair. I wish I was local to you so I could let you test mine out. Alas... northern Saskatchewan was a far distance from Baltimore.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Aleph Null

Quote from: midwayfair on July 19, 2022, 04:53:55 PM
[Is Thomas's project you mentioned the balanced line driver? https://diy.thcustom.com/shop/balanced-line-driver-v1-0/
Or something else?

That's the project I was thinking of.

I've also had good experiences with Radial products. Even the more affordable "Stage Bug" DIs have worked well for me. The do make an active Stage Bug DI for piezo equipped instruments.