News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean Boom Boom

Started by peccary, April 30, 2022, 09:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peccary

I started building this board probably sis months ago or so. It took me some time to get all of the transistors needed and I took a long time going back and forth on the artwork. Initially I wanted to do some kind of play with triangles considering the original design, but wasn't really liking what I came up with.

After finishing my Edgelord, which had a TNG theme, I tried to use TNG as a theme for a couple of other pedals I was making but, again, I didn't like what I was coming up with. It all seemed forced, and that's not what I am going for.

A month or so ago I was chatting with TheWinterSoldier and got inspired to try a TNG theme with the Boom Boom. At the same time I was looking at images of trumpets and trombones and trying to work them in to it, given the "brass" reference. When Chris mentioned TNG, I immediately remembered that Riker played the trombone, and it was kismet.

I tried to work in an image of Minuet but that was feeling forced, so instead I went with the trombone music from Bach's Minuet which I thought was a pretty rad idea.

I didn't include the "brass" label because it's now the "Minuet" switch ;)

This thing is pretty gnarly sounding. It certainly has much more heft to it than many other bass fuzz pedals I have used, but it's a bit touchy and takes some care to dial in. I think that having some more room on the "sens" knob would be nice so that it's not so touchy and comes on a little slower. That said I have only played with it for about 30 minutes and I think it's just going to take some time to find my sound with it. It gets wacky really quick with any twist of the knob or flip of the switch. I mean that as a good thing, but it just takes some adjusting each time.

Here are some photos and a quick sound sample. Obligatory "please ignore my awful playing." I used my Warmoth parts Jazz bass with 60's pickup placement and S/D 1/4 lb jazz pickups and Fodera nickle rounds.

https://soundcloud.com/joe-b-575234186/boom-boom-demo?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

harryklippton

Came out good, Joe! I recently picked up this board too. Did you try it on guitar at all?

peccary

No, I haven't tried it on guitar yet. I had about half an hour to play with it before the kiddo woke up from her nap. I'll see if I can get you a sample on guitar this weekend.

cooder

Very cool build, nice to see! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

Boom!  8)

Looks great!  I've got one of these on my to do list.

Thewintersoldier

Turned out great Joe, another home run. I'm glad I could help with the direction of the graphics and live all you did with it.
Who the hell is Bucky?

zombie_rock123

Absolutely my favourite Star Trek artwork to date on a pedal.

Second half of that demo sounds like everything I want in a fuzz, and a bass.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

peccary

Quote from: Bio77 on April 30, 2022, 10:22:52 PM
Boom!  8)

Looks great!  I've got one of these on my to do list.

Thanks! I think this is a good addition for anyone who owns a bass.

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 30, 2022, 10:48:00 PM
Turned out great Joe, another home run. I'm glad I could help with the direction of the graphics and live all you did with it.

Thank you! Yeah, I don't think I'd have thought of this graphic unless we had that conversation. It was perfect.

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on April 30, 2022, 11:19:33 PM
Absolutely my favourite Star Trek artwork to date on a pedal.

Second half of that demo sounds like everything I want in a fuzz, and a bass.

Thanks, that means a lot! I want to use more TNG references and can only hope that they work as well as this one did.

And the little bass power chord outro was just a happy accident. I was recording that first riff and wanted to hear what strumming might sound like and it was glorious. It made me want to start a doom band 😂

blackhatboojum

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

alanp

Nice touch with the stomp switch wiring.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peccary

Quote from: alanp on May 01, 2022, 03:49:57 AM
Nice touch with the stomp switch wiring.

Thank you. I've been trying to think of ways that I can try new things and be a little creative and step up my game a little bit. It takes a while but I enjoy building, so I figure why not? lol

Paradox916

Nice job man, that thing gets real burley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjjimi84

I really like this a lot, it is the push I need to get mine finished. Nice job

peccary

Quote from: Paradox916 on May 02, 2022, 01:57:52 AM
Nice job man, that thing gets real burley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Yes, it does. I was using it with my Edgelord the other day and it got very gnarly and synthey. I'll have to make a sound clip of that one of these days.

Quote from: jjjimi84 on May 04, 2022, 02:07:03 PM
I really like this a lot, it is the push I need to get mine finished. Nice job

You certainly won't regret it! Glad I could help push you over the edge - I'm stoked to see what you come up with for artwork!

nzCdog

Sweet build... Star trek geek here, Next Gen was my favorite series. 10/10 :)