News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Setback Confusion

Started by jimilee, March 10, 2022, 11:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I may be confused about the setback delay. The delay only works with both legs lit up. The tails switch will kill the delay with the tails option, but but lights have to be on to get any delay at all. Am I missing something, or is this proper operation?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

I probably did not adequately explain that part.

- Tails ON means signal goes to delay input, delay output goes to the MIX control.
- Tails OFF, signal no longer goes to delay input, but the repeats will continue until they die off naturally or until you bypass the effect altogether.

So, yeah: both bypass and Tails need to be ON to pass delay. Turn Tails OFF when you want discontinue the delay but let the repeats die off naturally.

Also: Tails is generally going to be used when the the dry/wet mix is 1:1 or less (IOW, the 1st half of the Mix control). But, if you set the Mix higher or all the way, when you turn Tails OFF, you lose your dry signal completely and only have the remaining delay repeats. That's just a quirk of implementing this feature with the FX90 Mix knob (which is a blend). It probably would have been better if I had just made the Mix control a delay volume rather than a wet/dry mix. But, that's what I went with.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on March 11, 2022, 12:03:48 AM
I probably did not adequately explain that part.

- Tails ON means signal goes to delay input, delay output goes to the MIX control.
- Tails OFF, signal no longer goes to delay input, but the repeats will continue until they die off naturally or until you bypass the effect altogether.

So, yeah: both bypass and Tails need to be ON to pass delay. Turn Tails OFF when you want discontinue the delay but let the repeats die off naturally.

Also: Tails is generally going to be used when the the dry/wet mix is 1:1 or less (IOW, the 1st half of the Mix control). But, if you set the Mix higher or all the way, when you turn Tails OFF, you lose your dry signal completely and only have the remaining delay repeats. That's just a quirk of implementing this feature with the FX90 Mix knob (which is a blend). It probably would have been better if I had just made the Mix control a delay volume rather than a wet/dry mix. But, that's what I went with.

Ok, gotcha, makes sense, I thought so, but I wanted to make sure. I think it's cool it kills the dry signal when the mix is up, I thought you did that on purpose.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean