News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hybrid Cosmo-skreddy hybrid fuzz driver

Started by Thewintersoldier, January 29, 2022, 08:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I fell in love with the skreddy screwdriver, it really is fantastic and I can't praise it enough. So I had to build a hybrid fuzz driver. This thing rips on humbuckers and sounds surprisingly great on single coils too. Compared to the screwdriver it feels less compressed, brighter and the first stage boost being a bjt vs MOSFET in the sd gives it a more amp like feel and tone. This cops better marshall sounds than most miab pedals. The volume knob cleanup on this is unreal as well. From low gain to pushed plexi type tones this is a real keeper. Gotta give props to my homie David (Mr. Effectslayouts) for the hook-up on the Russian npn germs, came in clutch for this build and a few more to come. Adam Warlock UV print cause he's a hybrid human, cosmic being and all round badass.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

benny_profane

Nice one! I've got a cosmopolitan board in the backlog that I really need to get to. Did you try any subs, or just go stock hybrid driver from the start? Also, are the screwdriver and hybrid comparable enough to have a favorite, or are they distinct enough from each other?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: benny_profane on January 29, 2022, 08:37:07 PM
Nice one! I've got a cosmopolitan board in the backlog that I really need to get to. Did you try any subs, or just go stock hybrid driver from the start? Also, are the screwdriver and hybrid comparable enough to have a favorite, or are they distinct enough from each other?
I went stock hybrid fuzz driver, no subs or mods. As for comparing to the screwdriver, I think it depends on what I'm after. This shines on humbuckers and the screwdriver on single coils. The pregain boost on the screwdriver is full frequency so it pushes the gain section harder and really brings the fuzz and I think it's a little darker sounding overall. The pregain boost on the hybrid is mid focused and really cuts and overall has a more amp like feeling vs fuzz. The screwdriver has a little more gain on tap, but I think with enough knob turning they could get kinda close but it warrants having both for different sounds. Next up is the lunar module.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

That looks super clean! The knobs and the color composition has that classic comic vibe.   

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jakes Dad

Very cool, very neat and very well done!

Where did you find info on the Hybrid Fuzz Driver?

Chuck

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Jakes Dad on February 01, 2022, 09:30:33 PM
Very cool, very neat and very well done!

Where did you find info on the Hybrid Fuzz Driver?

Chuck
Thanks, I have the schematic for the hybrid fuzz driver and the lunar module, which can all be built on the Cosmopolitan board. I sent all the info to Brian and he is going to include it in the build doc as an update.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

That's awesome! I was just about to ask you how you walked the Fuzz Driver over to this board. Glad to hear you like it on single coils. Have to imagine it rips with P90s.

Thewintersoldier

Anyone who wants the subs can pm me and I can get the information to you.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Drew Hallenbeck

Another great looking build!
I really like the graphic (and can't wait to see what's coming in the MCU)  ;D
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.