News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag deluxe MN3005 more delay time?

Started by gitaar0, January 02, 2012, 03:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitaar0

Hi,

I finished a dirtbag deluxe with mn3005.
It works. It sounds very good.

My build has the same delay time I hear on the video of other builds. I presume that that is what it will give. The most I get out of it is 470 ms.
When tested in a aquaboy the delay time I got with each individually was around 290ms. With the clock trim  in my aquaboy on max. I measured the delaytime by recording it and reading the time on my computer.

If I run my aquaboy with two v3205 I get a delay time that is clean with a time around 550-600ms. So much more.

I was wondering how I can get more out of the two mn3005 in the dirtbag.
Which one of the three parts (C41, R58 and delay pot) can I enlarge how much to extend the delay time?
How do they interact?
I have c41 242pf, R58 5k58 and delay pot 98.2k.

Thanks, Marc

jkokura

I think the Dirtbag's documentation is pretty clear about how to get the most out of your delay time. I will say however, that if you have an MN3005 version you may not have two real chips. You might have 1, and the other could be a 3008. Are you sure both of them are real?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gitaar0

Hi Jacob,

The chips both give around 290ms, maybe even a bit more, in my aquaboy.
I know that the build instructions clarify the three parts that should be as exact as possible (C41 240pf, R58 5k6 and the 100k Delaypot). What I would like to know if that is not enough, which of the three I can change with what consequence?

Thanks

JakeFuzz

I am getting the same thing with mine. I am thinking it may be my delay pot which measured around 97K before I put it in. I have not confirmed that both my chips are real yet which could also be the other issue (I hope not). Ill let you know if  figure anything out when I get some time to work on this. Keep us posted as well.

madbean

You can get a little more out if you increase the 5k6. It will affect the shortest delay time you can achieve, though. I have not tried a value greater than the 240pF cap, but you could try 270pF there to see if it helps. If you have a 250k pot, you could put a 240k resistor across the outer lugs to drop it down to about 125k, which will also increase the max delay a bit.

JakeFuzz

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking looking at the schematic just now. I actually never use the short delay sounds so that sounds like a very good idea. I may just socket R58 and try what sounds best in there. Thanks Bean!

gitaar0

Yes, I thought that would be the options.

Brian, do you have an idea what the effect of one or the other is sound wise or is this just influencing the bbd clock?

Thanks

Scruffie

Quote from: gitaar0 on January 03, 2012, 05:32:23 PM
Yes, I thought that would be the options.

Brian, do you have an idea what the effect of one or the other is sound wise or is this just influencing the bbd clock?

Thanks
Any of them will just effect the clock, the only difference in sound is that longer delays will be dirtier... but that's just how it goes.
Works at Lectric-FX

JakeFuzz

Cool! Socketed R58 and put a 24K resistor in there in place of the 5.6K and I am now getting almost the exact same delay time as my carbon copy. Very little added distortion actually, on higher output level setting it gets that weird velcro like distortion exactly like the carbon copy but only at the longest delay. I am very satisfied with this build now. BTW this did shift everything up which means the really low delay times wont be there. I don't miss them.

Scruffie

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 08, 2012, 01:36:38 AM
BTW this did shift everything up which means the really low delay times wont be there. I don't miss them.
Precisely, that resistor is setting the minimum delay time, which is why it may be best to use a 250k Pot with a parallel resistor to take it to 125k to keep them if you wished to do so (I wouldn't miss those delay times either but I know some like to roll it off and use the DMM as a preamp).
Works at Lectric-FX