News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Newbie trap?

Started by PapaKev, April 02, 2021, 01:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaKev

It started with a few pedals. I have since fallen into a vortex of studying, learning and mostly buying boards, testing equipment, components, specialized tools, etc. etc., and the thing I really want to do, build, has taken a back seat. To date, I've completed 2 pedals. Pathetic. I have enough stuff for at least 20+. How do I stop looking for more pedals to build and actually build? I've recently started looking at 3pdt boards and am now down that wormhole. I'm sure I'm not the first, or the last to fall into this trap. Any of you old pros have suggestions on how to focus on completions, besides the obvious "just shut up and build"? If it were that easy, I'd already be doing it.

Thanks

harryklippton

I'm still building boards that I bought in 2019. Something I always think about with tools or utility items is that I don't really know what my preferences are until I start using them. Experience is a great teacher.

drezdn

If you can, set aside say 15-30 minutes each day that you'll only use for building if that's what you want to do.

harryklippton

Quote from: drezdn on April 02, 2021, 02:33:56 PM
If you can, set aside say 15-30 minutes each day that you'll only use for building if that's what you want to do.

+1 for this too. Sometimes I just pick a project and start adding the resistors. Once it's started, I feel the urge to finish it sooner.

Thewintersoldier

Set goals and adhere to them. I try to do one pedal a week, or one every other week depending on size or complexity. I don't need to build most of what I do, I enjoy it. It's relaxing to me and Im always learning something and it's how I like to unwind. I want to take some time and start recording music again so I need to build less lol. The other thing I would suggest is to find circuits your really into, because once you start it, you'll want to finish it to use it. Ain't nothing like cranking up a new build and seeing what she's got!
Who the hell is Bucky?

EBK

This may not be appropriate advice given your stated priorities, and it may not be compatible with your individual personality, but my two cents:

Don't obsess over completing builds if you enjoy other parts of the process.  And, don't feel guilty for leaving something unfinished if something new looks like it would be more fun. 

If you aren't trying to make a job out of building pedals and maximizing profits, then focus on maximizing enjoyment and personal enrichment.  A hobby is no good for you if you force it too much.  Some of my builds take multiple years, and some take mere days. 

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

What motivates me is seeing and hearing all the pedals in the build reports.

I am currently working on a board I got back in 2013. I try to build about an hour a day, after that I have to take ibuprofen for my back.I still have a smaller back log from back then. I'm finally get to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PapaKev

Quote from: EBK on April 02, 2021, 03:21:35 PM
This may not be appropriate advice given your stated priorities, and it may not be compatible with your individual personality, but my two cents:

Don't obsess over completing builds if you enjoy other parts of the process.  And, don't feel guilty for leaving something unfinished if something new looks like it would be more fun. 

If you aren't trying to make a job out of building pedals and maximizing profits, the focus on maximizing enjoyment and personal enrichment.  A hobby is no good for you if you force it too much.  Some of my builds take multiple years, and some take mere days.

I like this. Thanks!

PapaKev

Good advice from all of you. Thanks. Much appreciated.

davent

If you aren't trying to make a job out of building pedals and maximizing profits, then focus on maximizing enjoyment and personal enrichment.  A hobby is no good for you if you force it too much.  Some of my builds take multiple years, and some take mere days.

It's about the journey, i've almost always found getting to the end pretty anticlimactic, it's done, so what...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Quote from: davent on April 02, 2021, 04:34:20 PM

It's about the journey, i've almost always found getting to the end pretty anticlimactic, it's done, so what...
dave
This all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.