News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1N400X Substitutions?

Started by redkurn, March 03, 2021, 05:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

I am working on the snarkdoodle, I have a 1n4002 handy and was wondering if subbing any 1N400X in a pedal with a lower or higer part # value is fine?
To me in a protection circuit it looks like you can sub a 1N4004 with a 1N4007 simply because it can handle the required reverse voltage, more than double, but not less than specified if 1N4004.

I've mostly found people saying for clipping it doesn't matter really, but harder to find an answer I currently understand regarding protection circuits.  ;D

thesmokingman

anytime I see a pedal calling for any of the 1n400x series I just use what I have on hand.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Invertiguy

For the voltages most pedals run on it doesn't really matter, the only difference between them is the voltage they can handle and even the lowly 1N4001 can handle up to 50V. The other characteristics are identical. You should be perfectly fine just using what you have on hand.
Doomsday Devices

alanp

For 1N400x diodes, I'd only worry about it for anything involving thermionic valves.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

redkurn

Cool, then if the 1N4007 is out of stock I can just grab 1N4001 as long as it's for a pedal.