News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Noob serendity

Started by DLM, January 02, 2012, 07:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLM

Hello , I'm new to the site and still having trouble navigating around , forgive me please I'm old ! I want to build an serendipity. I'm pretty good with a solder iron and want to give it a shot . I'm not educated in electronics , so I have to learn as I go .  I'm trying to figure out this shopping list . For example : the 2M2 resistor , dose that mean 2.2 M ohm ? It says "Xicon" carbon film or metal film resistor. Is that a brand or a type of resistor ? I went to Mouser and I can't find xicon resistors but they have a couple different brands . I have no clue as what to buy?  Is there somebody out there to give me a list of what and where to get these parts ?  Please help if you could . Thanks

jkokura

yes, anytime you see an "m" or "k" or "r" between resistor numbers, that's a '.' - so:

2M2 = 2.2 Mohm
2K2 = 2.2 Kohm
2R2 = 2.2 Ohm

Xicon is a brand. If you search on Mouser, type in "Xicon Metal Film Resistor" and you should get a listing of all sorts of values. If you look under brand on each of them you should see "xicon".

As with most DIY, we usually recommend first timers spend a lot of time. Yes somebody could post a list of parts for you to buy, but I usually encourage people to learn how to do it themselves. If you'd like, perhaps a kit would be a good place for you to start. GGG, and BYOC are great places to a kit to learn on.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

DLM

Hey Thanks for the info . Its a lot of work finding parts . I'm trying to figure the whole thing out . It looks simple enough to build , but maybe looks are deceiving . But I won't give up . Any help is appreciated . Thank you .

mjcyates

Mouser, although it can be intimidating, is a good place for resistors and caps. They have a "Project Manager" feature that allows you to save projects. I always use the Xicon metal film resistors. They have a naming convention that makes it real easy to order, for example 270-10K-RC is their 10k resistor. Just replace the 10 with whatever value you need. For caps I usually use Panasonic or Kemet. I like the Kemet MMK series caps just because they are labeled with the value, they have long leads, and they work for all of the projects.