News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need a new Waterslide Decal Manufacture

Started by peAk, December 19, 2020, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

Quote from: gordo on December 28, 2020, 05:41:20 PM
I got the Blinggasm clear laser and finally got a chance to try it out.  It was a total disaster until I got dialed into how it wants to work.  It's quite shiny and fingerprints tend to attract toner so be careful of that.  It requires a slightly longer soak time than most I've used but then it lets go around the edges REALLY fast.  Might be best to remove it from the water and let it sit on it's own for a while to complete the soak.  It's very thin and stretches fairly easily so doesn't like to be pushed around too much.  This is a good candidate for a soapy water on the enclosure to allow a bit more placement time.

So obviously this doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but honestly the stuff looks great once you get a handle on how it behaves.  There's a learning curve to every brand of decal stock so this wasn't a surprise.  I still like the SmallBear stuff better but this is also considerably cheaper so I'm considering it a win.

Here's the decal drying on a raw enclosure.  Very easy to get the air bubbles out from underneath so it IS as smooth as it looks:

I redid the Julia enclosure since I goofed up the text spacing and buggered up the decal.  This has a single coat of Rustoleum 2X satin clear:

And then while I'm at it, this is the sampler of alcohol inks I picked up from Blinggasm as well.  It's a combo of orange, yellow, magenta, and gold and this is my Porkbarrel PIF board I got last week.  I'm totally new to this but it has some cool potential for something a bit different:

Hey Gordo, I'm trying waterslide for the first time now with the blinggasm stuff. Do I need to clear coat it before I soak with a laser printer? The instructions on their site are a little vague on which parts I can omit for the laser stuff.