Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Analog Delay + Chorus/Vibrato Combo

Started by purpose_tortoise, October 10, 2020, 12:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purpose_tortoise

Hey guys!
First time posting here.
I'm doing a BBD analog delay for my bachelors in audioengineering. I'm trying to make a combo of delay + chorus/vibrato, simillar to Xvive Echoman.
I would like to know if this can be achieved using only one BBD chip (I'd use MN3205 or its copy).
If so, I'm not sure how to go about modulating the signal.
Any help or some schematics to look into?
Thanks a lot!

somnif

If I'm reading right, the Echoman is based on/descendant from the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, so perhaps that is a direction to head in.

Fair warning, with only one chip, do know your delay time will be fairly short. ~300ms will be where it tops out, if not less.

danfrank

I'd use the Xvive MN3005 rather than the V3205, unless you can get good 3205 ICs. Lots of problems in the past with V3205 ICs being noisy or distorting easily. The MN3005 will give you a better sounding product either way.
I don't know what you're using for a clock but clock ICs usually have a input pin to control or vary the clock signal.
Do your research, grasshopper...

gordo

Man, did you land in the right place.  The folks smarter than I should get you on the right track right quick.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

purpose_tortoise

Quote from: danfrank on October 10, 2020, 09:39:54 PM
I'd use the Xvive MN3005 rather than the V3205, unless you can get good 3205 ICs. Lots of problems in the past with V3205 ICs being noisy or distorting easily. The MN3005 will give you a better sounding product either way.
I don't know what you're using for a clock but clock ICs usually have a input pin to control or vary the clock signal.
Do your research, grasshopper...

Thanks for the advice. I AM doing research currently. And this post here is a part of it. Someone experienced can poin me in the right direction in a few sentences, instead of me browsing the internet for hours... Like you just did with pointing out the quality of V3205.
As for the clock, I'm currently looking at MN3102 (since it's hard to get MN3101). But I'm not sure if that is sufficient, since in most schematics I see the 3101 being used for  one 4096stage BBD. But looking at the datasheets the MN3102 should be able to get me to the 300ms time.

danfrank

Check out the link above I posted. There's a header named "delays", check under there. To the right of each board, there is a pdf file that will have a schematic of the PCB. Lots of good info there